Conophytums

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jhb
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Conophytums

Post by jhb »

Hi all.
After seeing Terry Smale give 2 talks on Cono's at the Exeter Convention last Sunday I'm now hooked. There doesn't seem to be too many sellers of Cono's so does anyone have names of good sellers of plants or seeds as I would like to add to several plants I bought from Terry.

What an excellant speaker Terry is also, I could listen to him all day.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Terry S.

Re: Conophytums

Post by Terry S. »

The main source for seeds is Mesa Garden in the States. The Mesemb Study group usually has a range of 30-40 conos each year. The other possible source is Atomic Plants (Norbert Kleinmichel) in Germany but he sells out within a couple of days when he issues a list.
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

Many thanks Terry.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Hi Jayne

I have a limited number of young Conophytum pellucidum that I've grown from seed sown in 2015. Most of them have flowered (some are still in flower). There are two batches, field numbers are SH620 and SH2796. You are welcome to one of each batch for the cost of postage. I'm attaching a couple of photos (taken last month when only one from each batch had flowered).
Conophytum pellucidum SH620
Conophytum pellucidum SH620
Conophytum pellucidum SH2796
Conophytum pellucidum SH2796
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

you want conophytum seeds go to ebay the pictures will drive you crazy they put lithop in seco9nd place.
I bought last year and had decent germination. prices not out of this world.
Bob
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactuspip »

Mesa Garden does have a quite extensive list of Conophytums and the other Mesembs. They are quite pricey, IMHO, typically 1.40 dollars per packet and a minimum postage cost of 14 dollars.

Getting several people together to make an order is a good way to offset the postage.

The MSG seed list in the January issue of the bulletin usually has 20-30 Conophytum species.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

Just looked on their website. Conophytum seed vary from 1.40 up to 8 or 10 dollars per packet. Ouch!
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

I will say it again go to ebay mesa gardens dose not have the unusual var. don't buy but take a look
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

It's difficult these days......I hear bad reports from some ebay buyers of all sorts of things except conos germinating from so called cono seed. Maybe Bob can recommend a reliable seller on there?

I was told by someone who'd enquired recently that Mesa garden have completely sold out of cono seed until they publish their January list. But you'll have to get an order in almost as soon as it goes online to beat the Chinese and South Koreans.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Bob Sobelman wrote:I will say it again go to ebay mesa gardens dose not have the unusual var. don't buy but take a look
I would not buy at Ebay. Mesembs seeds are easy money to some. And chances are you are not getting mesemb seeds.

I would go to one of the seeds sellers mentioned in the 'Updated seed lists' thread. And not go to other sources that are not mentioned but maybe just a few private sellers that can be considered to be trustworthy (there are a few on this forum and on the CactiGuide forum).