Terry on TV

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Terry on TV

Post by Diane »

You're potting shed looks to be the same as mine, and in the same condition!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Chris, I am so glad that you posted this. Of late, with my new career situation I find I have less time for surfing. And since the analog switch off I watch less and less of the 'terrestrial' channels. Luckily I was able to watch this on iplayer.......
Fantastic!

What a great window into our hobby!
Terry, well done, you are a natural!
Interesting that the potting shed is up for demolition. I wondered if the panes had been removed especially for filming :lol:

The final edit was superb and I wonder how much influence Terry was able to have in the initial filming, as I thought the plants portrayed in the final cut were all choice examples of what is in vogue right now.

Again, well done Terry, a fabulous advert for the hobby. It would be great to see more of this on TV, but sadly I think we will probably be in for a long wait.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Bill

Post by Bill »

BrianMc wrote:
Again, well done Terry, a fabulous advert for the hobby. It would be great to see more of this on TV, but sadly I think we will probably be in for a long wait.

Maybe not, an off the cuff comment I made on GW Facebook page means I will be talking with some one next week.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I provided the producer in advance with a one page summary of the things that I would like to cover. Of those, only about a half received any attention during the full day's work that we put into it. I was asked to highlight some of the plants that I particularly liked and I put some of these together on the staging for the filming, so yes there was some selection of plants by me. However, when it came to editing, I had no control.

In the Percy Thrower days, they used a glassless greenhouse which is what made me think of using the semi-derelict potting shed for part of it. You will be pleased to learn that the front of the shed is now wrapped in polythene until the final demolition!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Interestingly, I was asked by people who knew I grew cactus for many years. "Did I grow what that man on the tv grows ? ) Terry and BBC did a fine job. Well done. Cheers
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

I have just returned home after giving a presentation on Lithops and Conophytum to my own branch, Glasgow.
There was an excellent turn out. One new lady in the audience had seen Terry on TV and was so taken by the plants that she did a search on the internet and found out about our meeting. What fabulous timing, as the presentation was initially booked over 12 months ago! :grin:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Just watched Terry on Gardeners World, thanks to Jim Mercer putting the link to it.

Congratulations to Terry and Jennifer, a great programme.

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
ize89
BCSS Member
Branch: LOWESTOFT

Post by ize89 »

First of all, the show was great. Secondly, if we aren't all fortunate to have hair like Terry's or own a cat, what other alternatives are people using to pollinate?

Thanks
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

ize89 wrote:First of all, the show was great. Secondly, if we aren't all fortunate to have hair like Terry's or own a cat, what other alternatives are people using to pollinate?
Find a field with a horse, pony or donkey nearby, and cut off some hairs of the tail or manes with scissors. You can get them close with a carrot or apple.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I did indicate alternatives for pollination in the filming, all of which got edited out. Rather than having a brush with the RSPCA, other things that people use are cactus spines (particularly opuntias if you are at Mesa Garden), fibres pulled from shade netting and hairs from certain brushes (but I can't suggest any brands). Anything that is used must have the ability to hold pollen and are likely to be microscopically rough.