Terry on TV

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
daniel82
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Terry on TV

Post by daniel82 »

Terry S. wrote:I did indicate alternatives for pollination in the filming, all of which got edited out. Rather than having a brush with the RSPCA.
Or the owners, there are a lot of horse owners in my area and you'd be risking your neck if you tried to "pluck" their animals (understandably) :lol:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Getting hold of horse hairs doesn't generally have to involve going near a horse. Just going near my nieces after they've been to the stables will get plenty of hairs as well as things that smell a lot worse.
Cheshire, UK
ize89
BCSS Member
Branch: LOWESTOFT

Post by ize89 »

Terry S. wrote:I did indicate alternatives for pollination in the filming, all of which got edited out. Rather than having a brush with the RSPCA, other things that people use are cactus spines (particularly opuntias if you are at Mesa Garden), fibres pulled from shade netting and hairs from certain brushes (but I can't suggest any brands). Anything that is used must have the ability to hold pollen and are likely to be microscopically rough.

Thank you for this information Terry, and Aiko. Unfortunately I live in a city so there is no horses around here. But I will get on to the brushes and fibres. Thanks
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Wouldn't the bristles/hair from a mans shaving brush be the ideal and no secret journeys to horse fields involved.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Tina wrote:Wouldn't the bristles/hair from a mans shaving brush be the ideal and no secret journeys to horse fields involved.
I won't find a man's shaving brush in our household, Tina. My son, who wet shaves (when he bothers to shave at all), left home years ago and I've been all-electric for many years. I normally use a very fine artists paint brush for pollination.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Can you get that right down a cono flower tube Rod?
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

ChrisR wrote:Can you get that right down a cono flower tube Rod?
Possibly not actually. I poked the brush into a couple of my cono pellucidum flowers when they were open in September and there's no sign that fertilisation actually took place. Not having grown conos for very long I used the thin brush that I use on cacti without realising that the opening is very narrow. I'll use a bristle next year, assuming I get any flowers :wink:.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

You could use a "rigger" artists paint brush, they are extremely fine and long.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Conveniently, anyone who lacks Terry's luxuriant hair on their heads probably has eyebrows that can be used instead ;) Isn't nature great?
Cheshire, UK
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

You'd need them like Denis Healey to be long enough :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.