Terry on TV

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Terry on TV

Post by ralphrmartin »

Oh dear. The prices of Conophytums will go up even more now... :wink:

Great to see Terry enthusing about his plants, and excellent filming.

I hope they do another one on his bulbs!
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Are all three greenhouses filled with mesembs?
Was fun to see 25 year old C. achabense. Must have been one of the first in cultivation?
jpp13
BCSS Member

Post by jpp13 »

Thanks Ivan for the link! (tu)

What a wonderful collection, congratulations Terry!

English people are very lucky to have a weekly show devoted to plants ...

Jean-Pierre
jhb
BCSS Member

Post by jhb »

I've watched gardeners world on the BBC iplayer. Really enjoyed it particularly as Terry spoke at Exeter convention. He could have filled an entire programme. Loved to see his collection, I'd love to have some of the plants he has.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I just watched this on iPlayer, Terry's bit at least. Very impressive. Good filming too, pollinating tiny Conophytums and time-lapse of Lithops capsules. I was pleased that they showed Terry pouring water over some plants too :)
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I was surprise to see he uses his on hair to pollinate. I can't do that with mine, I tried yesterday, but mine are too thin and wobbly. Good thing too, as I am slowly starting to go bald so it will be a miss...

I just cut off some hairs of the tail of a pony on the field next door for pollinating purpuses. His payback for all the apples I feed it.
Last edited by Aiko on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

I just watched Terry as I recorded the programme this morning. GW is always repeated early Sunday am (7 ish). I found it fascinating although I was concerned about him using hair follicle to pollinate. Not sure this enhances our credulity. There was no mention of BCSS? Would that not have been good publicity? I wondered what happens to his collection when he is no longer of this earth? Is it safe-guarded? Does it come under National Collection status? I'm not wishing him ill but none of us is getting any younger.....It was a real insight to see so many of same genus under one roof. I hope he has guard dogs or other such protection. Fifty years labour should certainly be worth preserving. It was lovely to see he had one plant named in his and his wife's honour too. Outstanding achievement. Well done.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

JaneO wrote:...... I was concerned about him using hair follicle to pollinate. Not sure this enhances our credulity. .
May I ask what your concern is? I thought it served the purpose perfectly as he demonstrated.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Mainly that children might follow his example? Also from possible hygiene point of view? It didn't sit comfortably with me! I would not use my hair to pollinate with!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Jane,

Don't be concerned about what Terry uses as a pollinating aid, he has been doing that for years and it is very effective. It does not seem to have diminished his hirsuteness. I do not think this reflects badly on the BCSS, it is what Terry uses. Better than using the cat's whiskers (he doesn't have a cat).

Terry & Jennifer's collection is not a National Collection and he has lodged instructions as to what is to happen to the plants eventually.

Whilst he has two greenhouses they are not filled only with Mesembs. He still has a considerable number of cacti which is what he started growing originally. He also grows Haworthia, Tylecodon, Gasteria, Bulbine, Avonia and some small south African bulbs. No doubt I have omitted a number of the genera he grows, but it gives you an idea of how wide his interest in plants is.

Suzanne Mace