Conophytum regale

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Conophytum regale

Post by Ali Baba »

This bunch of seedlings has finally decided that this year is time to flower :grin:
Attachments
IMG_0972.JPG
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Re: Conophytum regale

Post by daniel82 »

Very nice, I love that colour. How big are they?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

That’s a 5cm pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

Love the picture, thanks for sharing
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Nice.....be sure to cross pollinate those flowers to continue the process. Even good cono seed is getting difficult to get and these are rare plants in habitat.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

I’ve tickled the flowers with a dried leaf of tillandsia usneoides (easier to find in my greenhouse than a cats whisker) so hopefully will get good seed set. I am not sure whether I should isolate the plants to prevent accidental hybrids as there don’t seem to be any pollinators about..?

Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I bet that there are pollinators around in the form of western flower thrips. These little beasts have made it necessary to physically isolate cono plants if you want to guarantee good seed. However, C. regale is one of the last species to flower, so I suspect that there are not many other conos in your greenhouse now that could lead to hybrids.
Incidentally although C. regale is rare as Chris indicates, and confined to just one quartz ridge, there are two distinct forms in cultivation. The best is SB793 which is very compact and then there is SH84.1 which has larger heads together with longer internodes such that the clumps are much looser. I wonder if there are sub-populations?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks Terry, I hadnt considered WFT as pollinators...I guess I wont be donating the seed to the MSG seedlist then! :cry: I do have a couple of night flowering conos still going as well as a nice yellow flowered one so there must be the off-chance of hybrids. I shall be more careful next year. My plants are from Mesa Garden seed as SH793
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I think if you pollinate the flowers yourself you'll get good seed. I've had a quite a bit of WFT over the years but given away hundreds of Conophytum capsules to friends and the MSG during that time that I've carefully produced myself. I keep track of most of it through seedlings returned and know of only two cases where obvious hybrids occurred.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks Chris that’s encouraging [emoji3]