This may be a silly question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Duns
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

This may be a silly question

Post by Duns »

Has anyone been successful in growing cucumbers in a greenhouse housing cacti and if so how? Cucumbers prefer a more humid environment which is the opposite requirement for cacti.

John
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: This may be a silly question

Post by Lithos »

Not at all a silly question, I have grown twelve tomato plants, and three cucumber plants, on one side of the greenhouse, with cacti and succulents on the other side for years now. True they have different requirements, but always get great crops, the cucumbers tend to get mildew, because its not as humid as should be, and I have the doors open, but I get plenty - I recommend the smaller types, as you get a lot more, the long sorts tend to sap the plant with the first fruit
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

This summer I relieved someone of an unwanted Trichocereus pasacana that was over 2m high but only around 25 years old. Chap grew tomatoes and cucumbers in the same greenhouse and always watered the cactus all through summer with the same feed as the crops. Compare and contrast one I obtained a couple of years ago that was 1.5m high and 64 years old, grown in the 'normal' way.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I also grew cucumbers and tomatoes in the same 8'x6' greenhouse as my cacti before I moved house. I got good crops from the salad plants and the cacti & succulents didn't seem to suffer. Space was a bit tight though.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thank you Lithos,Paul and Rod for your comments. My wife will be pleased as cucumbers are her favourite salad veg. and she wasn't at all happy when I indicated that in future the greenhouse will be a cucumber free zone.

I will be growing my tomatoes outside so the only other candidate for greenhouse space will be a couple of pepper/chilli plants. As my collection of cacti and succulents grow then the situation will be under review!!

John
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

A life lesson in this.

The only silly question is the one you don't ask!

I've found this to be a truism over the years. Often a "silly" question makes you look at a subject differently and changes your perspective. You can both gain from a "silly" question. :grin:
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thanks Cactuspip,

As a novice sometimes it feels that I am asking pretty elementary questions however I would say the subscribers to this forum are very helpful and willing to take time to share their knowledge and experience and it is very much appreciated.

John