Second burgeri attempt

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Magi
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Second burgeri attempt

Post by Magi »

I am a noob when it comes to starting mesembs from seeds, but so far I haven't found them to be too difficult with the exception of Conophytum burgeri.

Like most other mesembs I've sown C. burgeri germinate extremely easily, then it's all downhill from there. I simply couldn't gauge what kind of temperature or moisture requirement they need while they're young. They seem to achieve maximum succulence before melting into pulp. From that I suspected I've been overwatering them so I kept them away from the spout for a little longer, but they still disappeared one after another.

Below is a recent sowing from August. It is at the stage where they look amazing like last time, immediately before the decline. I do not want to repeat my past mistake. The only problem is I couldn't pinpoint what my mistake was. I hope the members of this group could provide some insight.

These onions are subjects to my mercy, so help me be merciful. Sown August 6th

I also attached a picture of C. obcordellum 'mundun' that's actually thriving, unlike the burgeris, so clearly there's something rather unique when it comes to caring for the burger's onions.

C. obcordellum sown in May
Aiko
BCSS Member

Re: Second burgeri attempt

Post by Aiko »

Your soil looks rather rough. Maybe that could be it? How well can the little seedlings extend their roots to some moist and nutricients?
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

It’s difficult to say without knowing what the soil is like below the surface. If it is similar all the way through I would agree with Aiko.
I don’t think the temperature is an issue given that your obcordellum are doing fine. Perhaps it is the balance between wet and dry that you are not quite getting right. They need reasonable moisture to germinate, which you are doing great, but then you have to be able to get excellent drainage, so that the soil mixes dries quickly between watering. The seedlings need regular watering to develop their roots, but will hate being waterlogged. The obcordellum are a little more forgiving.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

I use 100% unsieved pumice, which means I could immediately rule out poor drainage. It might be too late to reconstitute the particles into finer sizes. By now the smallest pumice particles have deposited near the bottom of the container, So I hope the roots have reached deep enough to this layer. When would I expect first true leaves to emerge?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I didn't find them to be any trouble. I don't remember many details from the last time I sowed them, but I didn't do anything unusual. So ... JI #2 plus cat litter, probably covered for the first month or so, then raised under lights until spring. Expect true leaves in 3-6 months. Don't expect roots that reach the bottom of the pot. You can grow 10 or more in a 2" square pot for years.

Despite the warnings about not letting them get waterlogged, I suspect yours are unable to get roots into that coarse substrate. It is probably too dry also. Is that perlite in the other pot, extremely dry stuff. The other issue is temperature, and Conophytums get very stressed if it is too warm when they're trying to grow. Cool and damp is best.
Cheshire, UK
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

Thank you for all the great tips. Now that my hindsight is 2020, I’m seriously regretting my decision for not sieving the substrate before sowing.
The other issue is temperature, and Conophytums get very stressed if it is too warm when they're trying to grow. Cool and damp is best.
My brain is stuck in cactus culture. That last sentence immediately screams root rot and sends panic synapses to my green thumb. I had to take a step back to realize the subject.

I also read from other resources that, unlike most other conos, burgeri is a summer grower and prefers spring and summer water and winter dormancy. How true is this in culture?
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

I'm wondering where you read that? It's not true in habitat or in hort.......Bushmanland can get occasional summer rain but most would occur in autumn & winter which is when burgeri grows and responds to watering in cultivation.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Watering in summer is a pretty good way to kill them, even in England and even in a coldframe rather than a greenhouse.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

My C. burgeri will sheet over late spring. So definately I will not water them in summer. Well, early spring, say late August when the weather can still be warm and very sunny, so summer. But that is about the time when many winter active species start to come alive. I would not water them between May and August.
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

Thanks again. Summer dormancy it is, got it.
I'm wondering where you read that? It's not true in habitat or in hort.......
I read it here, http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCC ... um_burgeri where under Cultivation and Propagation, it writes
These plants grow on spring and summer rain and head for winter dormancy. They like bright sun, cool nights, and plenty of fresh air.
Perhaps it’s time to reconsider where I draw information? :oops: