Humidity in a small greenhouse.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Humidity in a small greenhouse.

Post by Chris43 »

I was just thinking about this matter of humidity, and wondered what happened in habitat.

A little research showed that at El Paso airport at 05:51 the temperature was 9C and the humidity 96%, dewpoint 8C; at Las Cruces,NM, it was 6C with a humidity of 98%, dewpoint 6C.

I haven't found any real history yet, but if those readings were typical then should we be that worried about high overnight humidity levels. Daytime is different for certain.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

I think that is right, Chris. Like temperature, you need more than just the minimum value. In habitat it gets cold at night and the relative humidity climbs. However, it gets warm and low relative humidity in the day.

It is very different to the UK where the temperature is low and the humidity high all day and all night for days, or weeks, on end.
Cheers
David Lambie
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

If I was starting my setup again I’d invest in a day/night thermostat to give a guaranteed temperature lift on winter days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk