Schlumbergera

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
sechjoh
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Schlumbergera

Post by sechjoh »

Schlumbergera4.jpg
Schlumbergera1.jpg
Schlumbergera3.jpg
Schlumbergera2.jpg
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Schlumbergera

Post by juster »

Beautiful flowers and excellent photos Christer, thanks for sharing.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Nice pictures Christer.

Not a very good photo of mine since it was a hand held snatched shot, but I obtained a cutting of this Schlumbergera truncata which flowered soon after arrival, said to be from a collected clone from Countess Orssich in Brazil, the same lady who collected Schlumbergera orssichiana.
zygo.jpg
With a plant so easily propagated by cuttings it is likely the original habitat material is still cultivated, but the problem is over time there has been so much hybridisation since it was first discovered, plus it is said there is some flower colour variation in the wild, it is now hard to be certain which plants in cultivation are not hybrids unless you can obtain authenticated material.

There is a good article on S. truncata by Graham Charles in Cactus Explorer 13, pages 12-15 dealing with it's early history and illustrations, which can be downloaded here:-

http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/journal6.htm
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I've got 2 clones of S. truncata, one from Teresopolis in Brazil, and another which came from a hotel in Northern Argentina (so unlikely to have anything to do with European hybrids). Both look pretty much identical, which is also reassuring. The flowers have pink tubes with red petals, and relatively long compared to their width.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Not so sure Ralph.
To quote from "Christmas Cacti" by McMillan and Horobin p55. [my comments in square brackets]
"It seems likely that contamination of the PNSO [Parque Nacional Serra dos Órgãos] has already taken place. In a personal communication, C.F. Innes (9 Sep 1989) informed McMillan that Mrs Abendroth was requested to make enquiries to see if supplies of schlumbergeras could be sent to re-establish some of the depleted regions of the Organ Mountains [within the PNSO and close to Teresopolis - I think]. He sent about 500 rooted cuttings of all the varieties available in his nursery at that time [Holly Gate?] (early 1960s), including 'Delicatus' and 'Crenatus' (lilac purple flower). There were duly acknowledged with a 'thank you' note from the Brazilian Agricultural Department. Is is thought that other nurserymen were also asked to supply."
The book also notes the difficulty of crossing some newer introductions with old clones and wondered if this might be linked to this transfer. That sounds a bit unlikely to me, that it happened the specific exported clone was reimproted and crossed with the same european clone but perhaps there is more behind what McMillan was saying.
Frankly, beggars belief, but there are numerous examples of unfortunate, over-enthusiastic international transfers.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Yes, David Hunt told me the same thing. That locals were taking so many for their home decoration that "conservationists" decided to restock the wild population, but instead of taking habitat material from the area and breeding it for reintroduction, they simply bought material from the trade of unknown parentage and probable hybrids and introduced those, so polluting the natural population.

Well meaning conservationists always need to be very careful reintroducing cultivated material into the wild to make sure it came from that area originally, or they simply pollute the gene pool by introducing material that would not normally occur there and breed with each other, therefore risking hybridising with the natural flora.

Species often vary over their range and the extremes would not normally breed with each other, so though theoretically the same species, introducing plants from one end of the range to the other creates in effect forms that would not normally occur together and then probably hybridise with each other. Sometimes conservationists have to accept that plants (or animals) are extinct in an area and unless they have authenticated material that originally came from that area, reintroduction from other areas having a slightly different set of genes is polluting the natural environment and interfering with evolution.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Found this video on You Tube that shows the altitudes the various species grow at, with S. microspherica right at the top of the mountain above the rain forest in that rocky grassy area shown, which probably means it needs slightly different cultivation to the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCZ9wRpvfA