When to repot opuntia engelmannii seedlings?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
phil1984
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

When to repot opuntia engelmannii seedlings?

Post by phil1984 »

Hi everyone, my seedling has alot of spikes now! When would any of you repot into small pot, at the size it is now or wait awhile?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: When to repot opuntia engelmannii seedlings?

Post by Phil_SK »

I'd wait until late spring 2019.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: When to repot opuntia engelmannii seedlings?

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

You don't want to pot them on, until you have 50mm of growth on the first stem and hopefully by then the two cotyledons will have dried up and fallen off, meaning the plant can now grow on its own root system without the solar power from the cotyledons, and as Phil says spring is the best time with Opuntias, keeping them in the seed pot they are in will not be a problem, potting them on too early will be.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
phil1984
Registered Guest

Re: RE: Re: When to repot opuntia engelmannii seedlings?

Post by phil1984 »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote:You don't want to pot them on, until you have 50mm of growth on the first stem and hopefully by then the two cotyledons will have dried up and fallen off, meaning the plant can now grow on its own root system without the solar power from the cotyledons, and as Phil says spring is the best time with Opuntias, keeping them in the seed pot they are in will not be a problem, potting them on too early will be.
Hi, thanks guys. I'll leave them till spring then. Hopefully they survive till then lol

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: RE: Re: When to repot opuntia engelmannii seedlings?

Post by Phil_SK »

phil1984 wrote:I'll leave them till spring then.
I'm advocating the spring after next, to be clear. :)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia