Astrophytum cap. med.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Astrophytum cap. med.

Post by D^L »

Thanks Ali Baba. My current batch have fruits (haven't investigated to see if there is any seed) but are only 3 years old. I think I keep them too dry by the sound of it.
Thanks
David Lambie
Bristol
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

I found that the plant on a graft kept taking moisture from the stock during the winter until the stock eventually dried up and died. The only way I could get grafted plants through the winter was to keep giving a little water.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Seems like it is easier on its own roots!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kohinoor
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by kohinoor »

Grafted plant are much more sensitivities to under water.
Grafted plant may lost finger very fast(within 1 week) when they don;t get enough water.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Mine was the opposite David. It was grafted on Ferocactus glaucescens from Sandi Veronic, if I remember correctly. It grew and flowered well for a couple of years, but recently the scion base dried up at the graft and the tubercles fell off although the stock is still healthy. I presume the graft union eventually failed, so whether the tubercles will root at this time of year I do not know. Maybe I did underwater it this last year as Kohinoor says?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.