C&S book for beginners

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

C&S book for beginners

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, my 16year old niece has developed a healthy interest in our plants. Can anyone recommend a suitable book. Cultivation and pictures would be very useful to her at this stage. After growing for over 40 years, all my books are for a slightly more adavanced grower. I agree the Internet is a great tool. but I think books are more useful in this instance. Thanks. Ps BCSS growing leaflets will be of interest too.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: C&S book for beginners

Post by juster »

Hi Eric, I think that two good books for beginners are 'How to care for your cacti' and 'How to care for your succulents' both by John Pilbeam. It is probably about 30 years since they were first published, but second hand copies are available, via the internet, for a few pounds. They are well set out and easy to read, with the common genera covered and bits of helpful advice about various pests and problems.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Gordon Rowley's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents is out of print but easy and inexpensive to get hold of. It's an excellent general book for a beginner.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

A book I bought recently (because I can't resist an absolute bargain - at around £3 used from Amazon including postage) is The Cactus Handbook by Erik Haustein.

It is short on cultivation detail - but then of course the BCSS cultivation leaflets are a good starter.

But it has a wealth of excellent photos - about 120 pages of them with 3 or 4 pics per page, and a large number of cacti in flower, which would enthuse any beginner.
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

Cacti and Succulents: an illustrated guide to the plants and their cultivation by Graham Charles is very good and probably the most recent English general cultivation book.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

The first book I owned was "The Prickly Plant Book" by Sue Tarsky. It's fully illustrated and geared towards children. Published in 1985 but a quick google shows its still available in Amazon and others.
Prickly Plant book cover.jpg
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

MikeT wrote:Gordon Rowley's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents is out of print but easy and inexpensive to get hold of. It's an excellent general book for a beginner.
I'll second that opinion.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

ralphrmartin wrote:
MikeT wrote:Gordon Rowley's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Succulents is out of print but easy and inexpensive to get hold of. It's an excellent general book for a beginner.
I'll second that opinion.
I have a couple of spare ones of this if anyone is interested .... :wink:
rowley.jpg
rowley.jpg (23.38 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Ospreywatcher »

Anything by Miles Anderson/Terry Hewitt, available on Amazon preferably in paperback as much cheaper than hardback. I got all my inspiration from one of their illustrated "encylopedias" on cacti and succulents.
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/