Biogreen Phoenix heater

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
phil
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Biogreen Phoenix heater

Post by phil »

After 14 years of use my old Biogreen Phoenix heater it has broken. This heater unlike the newer model has a separate control panel with thermostat probe allowing the fan to run 24/7 and the heat to kick in at the set min temp.
My question is, with the new Phoenix model when use in conjunction with the Biogreen Thermo 2 digistal thermostat, can the fan still run continuously?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Biogreen Phoenix heater

Post by ragamala »

phil wrote: My question is, with the new Phoenix model when use in conjunction with the Biogreen Thermo 2 digistal thermostat, can the fan still run continuously?
I am guessing the short answer is no. (I have the same thermostat but different heater). The Biogreen Thermo 2 has just a single outlet power socket. Whether this is used for heating or cooling is determined by thermostat setting.

So whatever the capability and options of the Phoenix heater, it will only receive power when the thermostat enters heat mode and switches it on.

(Summer cooling fan operation is available through the thermostat controls. Again the power supply to the heater will be switched on according tho thermostat temperature settings - or of course you can bypass the thermostat, plug direct into the mains supply and run the Phoenix on fan only for permanent ciurculation).
phil
BCSS Member

Post by phil »

I thought that might be so! It’s a shame as the earlier model was much more flexible and easier to use.

cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactuspip »

Phil,

That's what they call PROGRESS!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Phil
I have two of the current model and these have two operating modes;
Fan on, heater controlled by thermostat
Fan and heater controlled by thermostat
The temperature probe sits with the heater. The setting is analogue and you have to work out the calibration yourself. Whilst this may not allow you to set to what you think is an exact temperature, the hysteresis is very small and a few nights trial will enable you to get just as good control as you used to have I suspect. Start warm and tweek it down night by night.
They are by far the most reliable heater I've owned in 40 years of growing cacti.
MaciejW
BCSS Member

Post by MaciejW »

Hi Phil,
I have just bought mine a couple of months ago and it can run all year round with heater kicking in as the temperature drops below the level you set it for. So I guess it does what your used to? I got it from Greenhouse People, who by the way have a 15% until Friday.
phil
BCSS Member

Post by phil »

MaciejW wrote:Hi Phil,
I have just bought mine a couple of months ago and it can run all year round with heater kicking in as the temperature drops below the level you set it for. So I guess it does what your used to? I got it from Greenhouse People, who by the way have a 15% until Friday.
Cheers Maciej, I'll check out Greenhouse People, used them before.

phil
BCSS Member

Post by phil »

Cidermanrolls wrote:Phil
I have two of the current model and these have two operating modes;
Fan on, heater controlled by thermostat
Fan and heater controlled by thermostat
The temperature probe sits with the heater. The setting is analogue and you have to work out the calibration yourself. Whilst this may not allow you to set to what you think is an exact temperature, the hysteresis is very small and a few nights trial will enable you to get just as good control as you used to have I suspect. Start warm and tweek it down night by night.
They are by far the most reliable heater I've owned in 40 years of growing cacti.
Thanks for that! I guess it's all down to the quality of the built in thermostat. The previous version had a range of just 0.5 degC from switching on and off. Making it as economical as an electric heater is ever likely to be.