Aloe height limit?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Oleg
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Aloe height limit?

Post by Oleg »

Hallo aloe lovers!
A question for you. Five years ago I rooted an aloe delaetii cut. Since that time, it has bloomed twice and reached 1 meter height. I haven't repotted it so far, as I'm afraid of the possible height of this species. How tall can it grow in case of good conditions?
Mine are: north-east direction, maximum sunshine in summer since the dawn till midday, regular watering in warmer periods (april-october), scarce one in other time. Winter temperature is between +5C - +15C.
IMG_8625.JPG
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Aloe height limit?

Post by iann »

Is the pot nailed to the floor?
Cheshire, UK
Oleg
Registered Guest

Post by Oleg »

Of course not! The plant can stand vertically. I have to turn it from time to time to escape leaning on one side. It does only when I forget to give it another turn.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

you have an etiolated plant because for Aloe delaetii 1 m is a record
You can cut the plant at 50 cm let dry the cutting one month then put the other part and the cutting in the same bigger pot
Liz M
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I would also suggest that you keep it in a lighter place, at least in summer when it is growing and it is receiving water. Outside would be my recommendation, as most plants benefit from living outside when it is possible. This should reduce the etiolation.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Photoshop me thinks......
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Oleg wrote:Of course not! The plant can stand vertically. I have to turn it from time to time to escape leaning on one side. It does only when I forget to give it another turn.
I think Ian's comment was meant to be a joke or, as we call it, tongue in cheek. :wink:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

rodsmith wrote:
Oleg wrote:Of course not! The plant can stand vertically. I have to turn it from time to time to escape leaning on one side. It does only when I forget to give it another turn.
I think Ian's comment was meant to be a joke or, as we call it, tongue in cheek. :wink:
Humour doesn't always translate to a foreign language. My humour doesn't always translate into English.
Cheshire, UK
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

One nursery on the Internet claims that Aloe x delaetii (= Aloe ciliaris x Aloe succotrina). However, your plant looks more like one of the primitive scrambling Aloes, now in the genus Aloiampelos. The most widely grown species is A. ciliaris, which can reach several metres with support. It can be pruned since it readily resprouts and has nice red flowers with a green & yellow tip, but is rather too large for pot cultivation.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Oleg
Registered Guest

Post by Oleg »

RICHAUD wrote:you have an etiolated plant because for Aloe delaetii 1 m is a record
Thank you for your answer, RICHAUD. The plant really is etiolated (a bit) as it can be seen by the greener top of the plant. I've got two younger ones (in separate pots) to replace the bigger plant. Any information about the height limit of this species?
Liz M wrote: would also suggest that you keep it in a lighter place, at least in summer...
I wish I could... Unfortunately, there is no possibility to place it outside, except for giving it away...
habanerocat wrote:Photoshop me thinks......
Sorry to say, it is real...
rodsmith wrote:I think Ian's comment was meant to be a joke...
...Have to say I haven't mastered the language well enough to feel it, but I'll try to! :razz:
Apicra wrote:The most widely grown species is A. ciliaris,
I have looked up some photos on the Internet - you might be right! The plant had come to me with no name; the local forum readers suggested the name of delaetii two or three years ago. The flower is different as you can see in the next photo.