Wonky Aloe Squarrosa remedy?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Johnny
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Wonky Aloe Squarrosa remedy?

Post by Johnny »

Hi Aloe lovers,

A question from a newbie to succulents. My aloe squarrosa has grown nicely since acquisition earlier this year but, as per the image, the top growth is tilting at an alarming angle despite regular rotation and it constantly threatens to topple over.

It's about 37cm or 15 inches tall, measured diagonally to take account of the lean.

What is the best way to resolve this to ensure the plant a healthy future?

Thanks in anticipation,

Johnny
Attachments
IMG_5889.jpg
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Wonky Aloe Squarrosa remedy?

Post by Liz M »

Aloes can be tricky things. I keep mine in the greenhouse and if they are big enough have an airing outside in summer. They don't all need a lot of bright sunlight, just good light without being in direct sun all day. In winter on a windowsill you have to give it enough water to stop it drying out but not enough for it to be permanently wet, just a little once a month. In winter, given our dull conditions I would put it in a cool place, if not in a greenhouse, in partial shade and give it that few drops of water once a month. In a greenhouse, kept above freezing, no water and partial shade.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Aloe squarrosa is a prostrate specy so your plant is normal (tu)
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Liz and Richaud

Many thanks for your answers. I'll amend my care routine accordingly Liz, cheers.

My issue is, what do veterans do with such a plant when it is leaning so alarmingly to keep it from toppling? I like the aesthetic and its slant doesn't offend me, but it is becoming increasingly unstable.

I fear potting it up to introduce stability with a bigger pot will give the plant too much compost. Do I cut the top section off? Introduce ever more elaborate means of support?

I am intrigued by what seasoned Aloe growers do to address this issue.

Any thoughts and guidance welcome. Thanks again.

Johnny.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Johnny

a good tutor to keep the plant upright or you buy a suspension
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Put it inside a slightly larger clay pot. This will stabilise it, with all the extra weight at the bottom.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by habanerocat »

... or a big stone on the top as a temporary measure.
Karsty
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Karsty »

It really looks like it is desperately searching for the sun Image