Root cutting of euphorbia mahabobokensis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
kohinoor
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Root cutting of euphorbia mahabobokensis

Post by kohinoor »

cut in 2017/9/27 spurt in 2017/11/30.
After make the cut wash the wound to remove any sap then kepp dry for 3 day to let wound heal.
the tip of root must above soil level. if the wound is burrow under it may rot.
i water them normally once per week.
day temp is keep in 25~30 it;s still quit hot here.

they generated after 1~2 week. faster if hotter.

E.mahabobokensis has very thin steam even thinner then hedyotoides.
I haven;t success with stem cutting yet.
Last edited by kohinoor on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Root cutting of euphorbia mahabobokensis

Post by Tina »

Hi
Images aren't working, I have tried taking cuttings before, you are supposed to be able to root them in water but not very successful for me, I was also told for Europe best time for cuttings is June/July, makes sense as they will be in full growth then.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

Tina wrote:Hi
Images aren't working, I have tried taking cuttings before, you are supposed to be able to root them in water but not very successful for me, I was also told for Europe best time for cuttings is June/July, makes sense as they will be in full growth then.
fixed.
best time here in my country is may . A little early before they full growth. I believe once they started growth the energy reservoir in stem is use for spurting new stem and leafs.
Just my guess thou. But they do require high temp to grow.

by the way is mahabobokensis dioecious or monoecious ?
the info i got from grower and literature is different. Mines by fare only produce male flower/cyathia.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

mahabobokensis dioecious or monoecious ?
sorry I don't think mine has flowered, I have had some success with root cutting but not as good as you, I'm impressed.
I will need to try more next year, how well do you do with seed production, I really don't do well with my euphorbia & don't understand whats happening with the flowers & seed production, with posisonii they start to develope a pod & then it stops and dies.
Anyone any advice ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

Tina wrote:
mahabobokensis dioecious or monoecious ?
sorry I don't think mine has flowered, I have had some success with root cutting but not as good as you, I'm impressed.
I will need to try more next year, how well do you do with seed production, I really don't do well with my euphorbia & don't understand whats happening with the flowers & seed production, with posisonii they start to develope a pod & then it stops and dies.
Anyone any advice ?
Most of my eup can self seed but the self-ed seed has very high abortion rate.The cross pollinated has less then 10%abortion rate.
If i manually pollinated they will always produce fruit but soon after 2~3 day they aborted it.
I think this is what happen to your posisonii. Self fruit has very high abortion rate.Best advise i can offer is try to get another clone.
In my country we have 2~3 clone of posisonii available.

there is a best time for pollination when stigma is mature and start to secrete mucus.
For the pollen is when anther busted release pollen. 0nce anther get old they will become damp and wet and look like cerumen. Weather also help, they like warm and dry sunny day.

as for seed production i have:
4 E.cyliderfolia.tubererous seedling out of 12 flower self pollinated (most Self-compatibiable)
2 E.ambovombensis seedling out of 20 flower self pollinated
2 E.heterochroma seedling out of 2 flower self pollinated
2 E.waringiae seedling out of 2 cross-pollinated
all manually pollinated

As i said cross-pollinated has much better success rate but self will do fine if you try hard enough.
Rate also differ from species to species

Here is one of my most treasured seedling Euphorbia mahabobokensis(male)X E.hedyotoides(female) hybrid

An unknown Euphoria,very popular beginner succulent in Asia.
i got 5 seedling from this batch of bloom last year i guess ant or bee pollinated them for me.
success rate is hopelessly low.Yet i still get 5 seedling.