That old chestnut, limestone, and South America

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Karsty
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON

That old chestnut, limestone, and South America

Post by Karsty »

Well, I finally couldn't take it any more, and I repotted my Trichocereus terscheckii again, into a lime-free mix.

However, in my search to successfully cultivate Adiantum peruvianum, a kind and knowledgable forum pal over at CPUK linked me to this article - https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file ... ion=inline

Once you open it, click on Ctrl and f, and type in limestone.... It mentions it 15 times! There's limestone all over Peru!!!

Now my head is spinning! Can anyone offer any satisfaction??

:tweed:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: That old chestnut, limestone, and South America

Post by iann »

There's limestone all over England, but you won't find Bilberries growing on it (except perhaps on a thick layer of peat).

I haven't found cacti from west of the Andes to be very tolerant of alkaline conditions. Maybe there are some, and probably there are other calciphile succulents, but I haven't seen them.
Cheshire, UK
Karsty
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Karsty »

Ok, so for some reason the types of cacti that grow in South America do not like lime, and that's just how it is.....?
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

There are certainly South American (and Caribbean) cacti that grow on limestone, although nothing like Mexico where it is almost a given. But few if any from the Andes westward. There is some limestone in Chile and Peru but the Andes are largely igneous and so are most cactus habitats over there. Maybe someone else can think of a cactus from there that likes limestone?
Cheshire, UK
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Just because a cactus grew in limestone does not mean they need limestone in the mix to grow, in fact some studies I came across indicated that limestone was an inhibitor to the growth and they did better without them.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

FaeLLe wrote:Just because a cactus grew in limestone does not mean they need limestone in the mix to grow, in fact some studies I came across indicated that limestone was an inhibitor to the growth and they did better without them.
And if all other plant species do even poorer on limestone, even though they do not thrive it sure beats the competition in (on?) that niche.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Pretty sure that in Mexico, at least, it is the limestone areas that are the richest of all? The Huasteca Canyon just south of Monterrey and environs is incredibly diverse for cacti and succulents.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Aiko wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:Just because a cactus grew in limestone does not mean they need limestone in the mix to grow, in fact some studies I came across indicated that limestone was an inhibitor to the growth and they did better without them.
And if all other plant species do even poorer on limestone, even though they do not thrive it sure beats the competition in (on?) that niche.
Not all plant species do poorly on limestone. Some thrive on it, and on other substrates. Some are obligate calciphiles and don't grow anywhere else. Same for strongly acid soils. The "they only grow there because nothing else does" argument has been thoroughly discredited but continues to raise its head :sad: The trick is working out which plants need limestone, which ones like it, and which ones just tolerate it.

Limestone does have the advantage for succulents that it is usually well-drained, often extremely well-drained. Impediments to growth are also rarely a problem for cacti, which are limited mostly by their own design. Once you overcome the basic problem of extracting locked-up nutrients then limestone soils are a walk in the park :mrgreen:
Cheshire, UK
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Marlon Machado claimed cacti growing on limestone only grew when they received acid rain and as soon as the substrata turned the water alkaline stopped growing.

Some have done tests on cacti and alkalinity.

http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/Cacti/Cactus%2 ... linity.pdf
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

iann wrote: The "they only grow there because nothing else does" argument has been thoroughly discredited but continues to raise its head
Interesting observation iann. Do you have a referance to work that demonstrates that? I'd be really interested in reading it.
Thanks
David Lambie