Lithops watering needs.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
pvdw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops watering needs.

Post by pvdw »

Hi all.

I would like to get some info regarding the water needs/resistance of different Lithops species.

I know that Aucampiae and Leslie are fairly tolerant to some more water than other species. Then on the other side we sit with Rushciorum that can not take over watering at all. Then plants like Optica do well with less water but like misting on a regular bases.

Can you please add or correct so we can compile a list of plants for these category's?

Can handel water.

Leslie
Aucampiae

Can NOT handel water

Rushciorum

Do well with regular misting.

Optica

I think we can stay on species level for a start except if there is an var that has a definite watering need.
Terry S.

Re: Lithops watering needs.

Post by Terry S. »

I think that in the UK, most growers give all their lithops the same treatment, even when they are species such as L. optica, herrei and divergens which get winter rain in the wild.
pvdw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by pvdw »

Terry S. wrote:I think that in the UK, most growers give all their lithops the same treatment, even when they are species such as L. optica, herrei and divergens which get winter rain in the wild.
Thanks for your reply.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

In South Africa, you may want to check with some local growers or look at southern hemisphere sources. Here in the cold white north (that being fog) we generally provide zero winter water for any Lithops as being the only sensible approximation to how little any of them need in the dull humid conditions. I know people in sunnier drier places who routinely water Lithops in winter, and sometimes not in summer, but I'm not the one to ask for too many details on that approach. I pretty much stop watering when the flowers appear, which can vary by species but isn't necessarily a guide to what they ideally need.
Cheshire, UK