seeds cactus heaven malta

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

seeds cactus heaven malta

Post by Bob Sobelman »

what happened to him is he still in business?
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: seeds cactus heaven malta

Post by DaveW »

Web site is still there but one seed list comes up dated 2002. you could try emailing them at the address on the top of the link.

http://cactus-heaven.com/seeda_e.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

This all looks a bit odd to me now.
The cactus-heaven.com site now declares Singapore as its base, and the web site is very erratic, to say the least, in the links.

John Gauci is based in Malta. A Malta address is given on some of the links from the current site, and email links given differ.

Last year I accessed his site attempting to order seed and obviously found a current list but the ordering system became non-functional when the web site did not allow me to check out. I emailed gauci3@cactus-heaven.com as it appeared then.

Gauci replied to me - jgauci@onvol.net (not any of the email addresses seen now) and said the web site had had numerous problems but he would take my order if I sent cc details. "If you are uncomfortable sending them by email you can order on line with the wrong expiry date and just advise me the expiry date by email."

I obliged by sending details but after three months I find I sent the following -
" Hello John, I'm sorry but my patience is now exhausted. Please cancel my order. You are no longer authorised to
charge any amount to my card."

So maybe he is still in business, but......
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest

Post by Bob Sobelman »

its funny several years ago I ordered many times from him seeds where very good. then he said I would have to pay 75 euro for photo. cert. and cities. I stopped ordering of course. a friend visited him two years ago and said he has no cactus or hot house and that he gets his seeds from people. strange
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

I thought he was in Malta too so was surprised to see Singapore. I will see if a friend in the Maltese Cactus Society knows anything about them.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
DaveW
BCSS Member

Post by DaveW »

Hi Bob,

Just had an email from my cactus grower friend in Malta:-

"I happen to know John Gauci very well. I had no idea that his trading address is now Singapore. As far as I know he still lives in Malta (Mosta). Maybe he’s doing this for tax purpose only."
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

A 2001 seed list as the only list offered? That's... quite a bit outdated...

I don't think this is the best of seed sources. Understatement.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

a friend had visited John Gauci a few years ago and he was very disappointed: the plants were laid on the flat roofs of his house or neighbors without any protection and therefore no control on pollination
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Ordered seed from him a couple of times, but the last time was back in 2012, and I noticed the list had not been updated then, germination the last time I ordered was mixed, only 60 percent by species, but those that germinated the rate per seed was about 90 percent.
Sad to see a supply to people wanting to start out sowing for the first time disappear, but maybe its the usual case of someone getting too old to run it properly.
I have no idea what age John Gauci would be now.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.