How to send pics. to forum from ipad

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: How to send pics. to forum from ipad

Post by juster »

Hi Eric, I have not had this problem so I've no idea why it is happening, but yes it is possible to rotate pictures on your iPad as follows:
Select your picture and tap edit button- it's top right of the screen and is three parallel lines with blobs on them.
Then on the left of the screen tap the second icon from the top, it's a bit like a square with arrows around it.
After this, at the top left of the screen you will see another square with an arrow pointing around it- this rotates the picture by 90 degrees. Good luck!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Juster. I have had my I pad about 4 years and never knew that this could be done. Cheers, but my problem is that the axis is OK on my iPad, but the pic is 90degrees out when It is shown in a forum thread. Strange!! Ps but not all of them.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Eric Williams wrote:Thanks Juster. I have had my I pad about 4 years and never knew that this could be done. Cheers, but my problem is that the axis is OK on my iPad, but the pic is 90degrees out when It is shown in a forum thread. Strange!! Ps but not all of them.
Sadly, we can blame both Apple and Microsoft and other software suppliers. Photos taken using an iPad or iPhone and loaded to the Forum are often wrongly rotated or upside down.
It depends on the orientation you held the 'iCamera' when you took the photo.

The Apple view:
If you rotate your iPhone, the camera sensor won’t know about it. It will simply record the image and save it to a file, letting the software on your phone do the rest.

To make sure that your photos are displayed correctly, your iPhone adds information about the correct rotation of the photo to the properties of each image, which are specified in EXIF tags.

Your iPhone doesn’t convert any images to the correct orientation because that would keep it busy for a few seconds. Instead it simply saves all photos as they were recorded and adds information about their correct orientation to EXIF tags.

This means that your iPhone is ready to shoot another photo within a fraction of a second, which is just awesome. The only problem is that some software developers, including Microsoft, ignore the information that’s stored in these 'Apple-specific' EXIF tags."

Hence, your photo displays fine on your iPad or a device using iOS software but not elsewhere :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Not sure about 'Apple-specific' EXIF tags, I thought it was standard exif data which seems to be what this article says... https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-yo ... y-rotated/
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Using an exif data viewer to look at my images the original has Rotate 90 but the version after processing in Lightroom is missing this data but the Lightroom version is the one that displays correctly in this thread.
exif original.JPG
exif original.JPG (68.94 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
exif after edit.JPG
exif after edit.JPG (68.52 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

It's getting far too technical for my old brain, but glad it's not my fault. It doesnt really matter unless we are entering a photographic competion I suppose. Ah well, as long as my old PC does not give up the ghost, will have to persevere the longer way. Thanks all.