How to grow Muiria hortenseae & Didymaotus lapidiformis?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mafate79
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mafate79 »

Hello all,

As I was lucky enough to get seeds of Muiria hortenseae & Didymaotus lapidiformis from the MSG this year, and that I have now some seedlings to grow, I would be happy to have some advice from some of you who grow them, especially if you already grew them from seeds.

I know that those two species are said difficult to grow, so any advice will be welcome. (tu)

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Re: How to grow Muiria hortenseae & Didymaotus lapidiformis?

Post by cactuspip »

I have never had any success with Didymaotus, but I have done better with Muiria.

I have a useful sheet on growing Muiria which you are welcome to have, if you wish.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

I have managed to grow Didymaotus from seed to flower. I potted into deeper than usual pots, and I water a tiny bit in summer to prevent excessive drying and occasional but thorough watering in the winter. Full sun all year round once the seeds are germinated.
Didy_zps5bbcffe7.JPG
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I also don't have very good experience growing Didymaotus, but my Muirias are doing quite well. The key for Muiria is not too let them get too dry. I give them quite regularly a splash of water between July and May. Just allow for a very short summer dormancy for the two or three hottest months when the now yellow sheets are fully dried out and gives the plant a death look.

You might like to read these little notes on both species:

http://www.vivante-passerelle.net/index ... ia-en-gb-2

and

http://www.vivante-passerelle.net/index ... us-en-gb-2
Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your answers.

@cactuspip: thank you very much for this proposal, your sheet would be much appreciated! (tu) Can you please tell me the composition of your substrate for your Muirias?

@Ali Baba: thank you very much for those tips, very nice plant! (tu) You seem to be an extraterrestrial if you can success with this reluctant species! :grin: Can you please specify what is your mix made of? And what min/max temperatures your plant has stood? Finally, how long between the sowing and the first flower?

@Aiko: thank you very much for your advice and the links. Muiria really seems to hate dryness! Can you please also specify what is your mix made of for your Muirias and the min/max temperatures they were exposed to?

I will do my best to keep them alive, thank you again. (tu)

Sylvain
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

My Muiria are in the same mix as most of my mesembs: 50% loam, 50% rough sand and a bit of peat to keep it a bit less compact when the soil is dry. My Muiria's have survived -7C a few times, although not recommended. They surely can take regular slightly freezing temperatures on a more regular basis. Although I would aim at keeping them at 0C.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Muiria from seed isn't hard, so don't be afraid to start. They get more touchy as they approach flowering size. You'll have to tread a fine line of keeping them nicely plump in the growing season without drowning or bursting them, and letting the skins dry out in summer without killing the whole plant. Gypsum or salt in the soil can be helpful. One of the biggest problems here can be mould on the old skins in humid autumn conditions, but probably you'll have different problems.
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

No alien technology involved! My Didymaotus are growing in my usual mesemb mix, 2 parts loam based compost (JI#2) 2 parts fine grit and 1 part cat litter. I sieve out the large lumps of peat from the compost before I use it.
Sown August 2010, I think the photo was taken in 2014 or 2015.
I am lucky that my greenhouse is relatively unshaded, and they are grown at the south gable end, right by the glass. Winter min is 5C, temperatures sometimes get above 45 in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

Thank you all for your helpful answers, I got a 100% germination rate with the Muiria seeds, and I think about 50% with the Didymaotus, but this can still evolve. So I just have to make efforts and be lucky! ;)

Sincerely,

Sylvain
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

when I visited the Muiria site it was a rainy day and the water was dripping
and at one point the quartz stones were gone and we could see below a kind of green clay soil
and no seeds as the capsules were all opened