Tips on Maihuenia patagonica

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Tips on Maihuenia patagonica

Post by Eric Williams »

I like a challenge, so I decided to try and germinate the above seeds. Could be futile but I will try. Will a period in the fridge help, and sanding the outer seed shell has been mentioned. Any tips will be welcomed. Cheers
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Tips on Maihuenia patagonica

Post by D^L »

I put them out, unprotected, in a pot outside in late autumn and wait for spring.
I tried sanding them once, didn't seem to do much for me.
Cheers David Lambie
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

I’ve had seeds on 2 occasions. Both times I chipped the seeds and then sowed as normal. I got about 2 in 10 seeds to germinate each time, but after a couple of weeks they suddenly dried up, seemingly the root just dried up and then the very healthy looking top keeled over. I gave up after the second attempt [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

After a bit of experimentation, I chipped the tiny bulge next to the hilum. Very carefully! Got >50% germination in a few days. If you chip or sand other parts of the seed coat the cotyledons and hypocotl can emerge but not the root so the seedlings don't establish properly. They are also very sensitive to chipping or sanding damage as the hypocotl seems to form a large part of the embryo and is thin and easily damaged, often leading to the death of the seedling.

I've got 5 survivors (swapped/sold a couple too) nearly 2 years in, clues as to how to get them to thrive would be appreciated - like how damp / dry do they like in summer and winter and how rich a compost to use?
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Well done! If they are anything like M. poepiggii water them all year round and give them loads of sun.
kohinoor
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by kohinoor »

i buy seed from hobby 2017/6
i cut half of my seed (15/30) like esp do.
all germinate in 12hr

but the uncut group also germinate after 24 hr
both group has 100% germinate rate.

sadly most of seedling get serious fungi infection 1 day after germinate .
in the end only 5 seedling survive first month. only 1 remain now.

here is my previous post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165911&p=260335&hil ... ca#p260335
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I have germinated several batches over the years but find them difficult to keep going beyond their first winter. At the moment I have two survivors from a sowing two years ago and two from last year. I didn't chip the seeds and got maybe 50% initial germination. They do seem to need to be given some water in the winter.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

The best plants of M. poepiggii I have seen were grown in an alpine house (either at Kew or Wisley I cant remember which), which suggests very cool growing conditions but just frost free in winter, with all year round watering. I have tried leaving spare plants outside but they rot eventually. However in the greenhouse at 5C at least, I can water mine as often in the winter as I do in the summer and that seems to keep them happy.
I'd suspect that keeping them too warm in the winter might encourage fungal diseases.
M. patagonica seems much more tricky judging by everyone's experiences
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

There is one outside the alpine house at Wisley which I was admiring last weekend and there is one inside the arty alpine house at Kew which I posted a photo of some years back.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

I guess the climate at Wisley is a bit kinder than here in the East Midlands! Or I need to try harder [emoji3] I believe there is ( or was) one outside at Kew also which has flowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk