Taxonomy of the Cactaceae

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Taxonomy of the Cactaceae

Postby DaveW » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Just received this link of the proposed volumes 3 & 4 of "Taxonomy of the Cactaceae from Joel Lode.

http://cactus-aventures.com/Taxonomy/Td ... ctENG.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Taxonomy of the Cactaceae

Postby Phil_SK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:31 pm

It's worth keeping an eye on https://www.cactuspro.com/forum/read.ph ... msg-679070 as Joël tends to post news about his TdC there.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Postby RAYWOODBRIDGE » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks Dave & Phil.
You do have to hand it to Joel Lode for his dedication to the task ( I found the first two volumes very interesting ) Talking to people like Joel ( I am thinking of Graham Charles and Frank Supplie and the like ) the first thing you notice after the obvious knowledge is the sheer enthusiasm which I find gives me the motivation to grow species and even genera I would not have tried.
Cactus pro. I do find is a very good site in general,and for doing research their library is excellent.
The more we learn (new plant finds & DNA etc ) shows yet again another example of just how little we know.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
Echinocereenfreund member 100
Cactus only collection mainly from seed, Echinocereus incl.Wilcoxia and Peniocereus.
Echinocactus,Astrophytum,Ferocactus,Stenocactus,Thelocactus,Opuntia,Cleistocactus,Oreocereus, Lophophora & Ariocarpus. Also Rhipsalis, Lepisium and Disocactus
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Postby DaveW » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 pm

Joel Lode is also a speaker at this years BCSS Convention in July.

http://society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/in ... ntion.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
mdpillet
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Postby mdpillet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 am

Joel and I have exchanged seeds a few times now. He keeps a list on his site of which species he is still missing for photographing for his books, always in flux. I had the pleasure of meeting him this year at the American cactus convention - he's a great speaker so go see his talk if you have the chance.

Return to “The Cactus & Succulent Plant Forum”