Infected grafted Astro hybrid

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mark k.D
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Infected grafted Astro hybrid

Post by Mark k.D »

To me this looks like cold. I have sprayed with a disease and bug killer about a month back. I welcome any suggestions?
Attachments
20180112_151625.jpg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Infected grafted Astro hybrid

Post by rodsmith »

The plant looks severely shrunken and discoloured. It may well be dead.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Mal L »

Sadly I would have to say that if it was mine I would dispose of it a.s.a.p., just in case it has something transmissible. Even if it is just cold marking, being an Astrophytum it will take a very long time for new growth to predominate (it's also not likely to naturally offset), and it will always retain a manky-looking bottom part - that is if it actually survives! If you can be sure it is just cold marking, and it stays alive - and if you don't want to give up on a possibly rare-ish and expensive cultivar (?) - then it might be possible to cut the top off and try to force offsetting, and start again. I say "might" because I have no personal experience of doing this with an Astrophytum - maybe someone here can comment on actually having done so?
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

This cultivar does not look its best in myriostigma form. ( always best in ornatum or asterias forms ) Your plant does not look that bad for mid winter in a cold greenhouse, but my worry would be, what is it grafted on, because myriostigma can take -5 or -6c no problem, but the stock most likely cannot take any frost.
I keep grafted plants in an area to please the stock plant,if you do warm this plant up make sure you do it very slowly 1 or 2c at a time otherwise everything could turn to mush.
Best of luck, always best to keep a plant and see how it goes,even if you keep it in isolation, you learn more that way than throwing it away.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Looks like it may be a hylocereis graft, if it is it needs heat. With grafted plants I tend to give a light watering in winter.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

too much moisture with low temperatures causes these yellow spots which are unfortunately definitive (they will be white after)
treatment with Bordeaux mixture and look at the surrounding plants