Derek Bowdery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
agavedave
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Derek Bowdery

Post by agavedave »

Sad loss of a great friend.

We spent many enjoyable hours chatting about agaves and the word in general. I visited Derek regularly throughout the summer, swapped a few plants and sometimes he would let me chop down some of his amazing crop of brambles at the back of the greenhouses while we chatted. The last time that we spoke was about the middle of December.

I learned a lot from Derek.

Regards
Dave
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Derek was someone who always supported events and was always cheerful and smiling.
I first met him at the Judges Course in the 1980's and later remember him coming to Sheffield Branch with Karen to give a talk. He and Karen came to us before the meeting for a meal and we had a lovely time together. Two of our grandchildren were there and they really enjoyed meeting our visitors.

Derek will be missed at many events, but will not forgotten,

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

Derek always had time for everyone and was one of the loveliest, friendliest people I have ever known. I will certainly miss him very much.
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Derek Bowdery RIP 1932 - 2018.

Post by delandmo »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned on this forum. A quick check through the pages here revealed no references that I could see to his passing.
Those of you who knew Derek will remember him as a very cheerful person, always willing to help and a prominent member of our hobby. Notably, for his escapades in the succulent rich country of Mexico, alongside his great friends John Pilbeam and Bill Weightman, also as an accomplished grower, selling plants at various shows and marts up and down the country. I got to know Derek very well in the late 70s early 80's when we both exhibited at the RHS Hall at Vincent Square and the society shows in Pimlico Square in London. It was at a Pimlico show in 1981 that Derek and I attended and spent most of the time together while the judge, a youngish John Pilbeam, bestowed awards on several of Derek's plants and even mine too. I also managed on that occasion to bag, hot off the press, a signed copy of Mammillaria, A Collector's Guide for a reduced price of £14.
Derek you will be missed.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Derek Bowdery RIP 1932 - 2018.

Post by Phil_SK »

delandmo wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned on this forum. A quick check through the pages here revealed no references that I could see to his passing.
Having been unpinned, this had gone some way down the list. I've merged your thread in with the other tributes (hope that's OK). Phil
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
delandmo
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by delandmo »

Many thanks Phil. Have been away from the forums for a while and only heard the news through Graham Charles yesterday.