Derek Bowdery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Derek Bowdery

Post by bcss »

It is with great sadness we have to announce that the Society has lost one of its greatest friends. Derek Bowdery died today at 1.30pm having been in hospital since Christmas day. He was finally diagnosed with Leukemia on 14th November he has had prostate cancer for over 20 years and managed to control that well but hasn't felt right for nearly 3 years and by the time he was diagnosed it was too late and he was too old at 85 to have anything but palliative care. He really appreciated the visits from his many friends, especially Kings Lynn branch members who visited him or spoke to him on the phone over his last few months. We would also like to say a special thank you to his friend Karen who came over straight away from the States to be with him and helped him do everything he needed to do to get his life in order and who was with him at the end. Thanks also go especially to Keith & Shaun who ran then both about over these last months and his branch members who gave him a lot of support. Our thoughts go out to all of you at this time of great loss.
RIP Derek 1932-2018
Kathy & Keith Flanagan
on behalf of Kings Lynn Branch
Tony Mace
Publications Manager
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Derek Bowdery

Post by Tina »

So sad, a lovely man who will be sadly missed.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

Very sad news.

Derek loved his plants, accrued a lot of knowledge, supported the Society over many years and was always very welcoming and helpful to fellow enthusiasts. A great loss.

Graham Evans
Zone 12 Rep.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

It is very sad that we have lost one of the best people in the cactus world today.
Derek was one of my greatest and longest friends in the hobby (ever since he first brought a van-load of ferocacti to talk about at a BCSS North London branch meeting) and I always enjoyed visiting him at his nursery, staying with him and meeting all the members of the King's Lynn branch.
He will indeed be sorely missed.
RIP Derek.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I visited the nursery a number of times and Derek was always welcoming and friendly the last visit was the day after the national show when I bought some Turbinicarpus plants from him
RIP Derek
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Such sad news, I can only echo all previous responses, he was a really lovely guy.
RIP Derek.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Geoff Lovell »

sad news of the loss of a 'Catford' boy.
My condolences to his family.
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes I heard Derek was ill and saw him at a plant sale early last year, plus in previous years at the Cactus Explorers Weekend. I only visited his nursery a couple of times, but it was a magnificent collection. He was a very nice and friendly person and will be missed.

The Mail Online did an article on him in 2009.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... orths.html
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Very sad news, Derek's been around in the hobby for as long as I can remember, a regular at the Judges Course and Cactus Marts etc. I'd usually visit every two years after the Spalding Marts and he had some great plants, the only person I've known to flower a Saguaro in the UK. Very sad.

Stuart - Plantlife
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

A very sad day for all who knew Derek. I remember visiting his collection, housed, I think, in five greenhouses, when he lived in Catford many years ago. A great loss to the hobby, always cheerful, one of the very best. RIP Derek.
Jean
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias