Derek Bowdery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Derek Bowdery

Post by Aiko »

I see you went to this collection: http://vijverberg.info/

In the article DaveW mentioned it was said Derek has the biggest collection in Europe. I think the greenhouse in above link is probably of about same quantity and quality. All plants home grown in over 40 years.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

I had nothing but respect for Derek, not only for his knowledge of our hobby but also for the man he was.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I think what is the biggest collection in Europe is a bit of the usual press speculation to pad out the story Aiko. Everything has to be the biggest or rarest for the press to be interested. Do they mean biggest commercial, or biggest private one? Graham Charles has probably one of the biggest private ones in the UK and Southfield's the largest commercial one I have seen. No doubt there are larger ones in Europe.

Views of Southfield's

http://www.teessidecacti.org/BCSS/GALLE ... es_004.htm

Does anybody know what will happen to Derek's business. Will it be sold as a going concern or broken up? Few would have space to house that Carnegia, therefore would it not be nice if the collection is to be broken up if it went to somewhere like Kew with a plaque in front as a memorial to Derek for the public to see?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
cactusrick
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Post by cactusrick »

Derek was one of the mainstays of our hobby. I will miss him terribly. He always greeted me with a friendly "hello mate". So long, mate.
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Oh what sad news. I’ve known Derek for many years and last saw him at Explorers Weekend back in September. He is one of those people who has always been there. I will miss him greatly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Very sad news and a great loss to the world of Cacti and Succulents. I was always in awe of the Opuntia invicta - so few had the space to grow it to that size.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH

Post by jerryb23 »

A very sad loss indeed. Lets hope his collection is preserved - its amazing how many people know the Carnegia and the Invicta.
jankol
Registered Guest

Post by jankol »

A great loss indeed. In spite of his extensive knowledge and expertise he always remained very humble and unassuming and always was most welcoming to visitors who came to admire his collection. In 1988 ,at a time when there was little or no interest in agaves, I went to a lecture by him on small agaves. My interest in succulents was at an early stage then but it was his lecture and enthusiasm for these plants that focused my interest in that direction.
There was also very little agave info on the web and Derek was instrumental in encouraging me and helping me to set up probably the first agave based website. For this I am truly grateful to him. Condolences to the family
Jan Kolendo

http://www.agavepages.co.uk
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

At The Toronto Cactus and Succulent Club meeting today, I borrowed a book from the club's collection. The book caught my eyes with it's vibrant cover and I was not aware who one of the authors was until I sat down and set the book on the desk.

I thought the second author's name look familiar, then I realized where I had seen it...earlier on this forum.

Frankly I've never heard of Mr. Bowdery before, being new to the hobby and all, at least not until a few days ago...but what are the odds that I unknowingly picked up one of his titles among those hundreds of books on the club's shelf only a few days after his passing?

DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Our Chairman asked me to post this from Nottingham Branch:-

Members of the Nottingham Branch of the BCSS were saddened to hear of the news of Derek Bowdery. Derek was a speaker at our meetings on several occasions in the 1980s and 90s, always arriving with many large plants, especially Ferocacti, and top quality sales items. We also enjoyed visiting his nursery on Branch outings. Derek liked home-made produce and he usually left our meetings with a bag of cakes donated by our lady bakers. We will remember him for his sincere friendship and the ways in which he promoted our hobby, by sharing his knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise freely with everyone. Dereck’s passing leaves a huge gap in our membership; for many of us, it was a privilege to have known such an expert plantsman.

Mike Davey, Chairman, Nottingham Branch, BCSS