What are these?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

What are these?

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi can anyone I.d these please. Plant 1 I grew from seed planting them August 2017. I mistakenly thought it was Opuntia Ficus-Indica but now I have read they are spineless!
Also, can anyone shed any light on why my Ferocactus has gone red? It's kept at 5 degrees in my greenhouse and although South facing, I have shaded it to avoid scorching.
Thanks
Attachments
Succulent 3
Succulent 3
Succulent 2
Succulent 2
Succulent 1
Succulent 1
Red Ferocactus
Red Ferocactus
Opuntia?
Opuntia?
Bill
Branch: None

Re: What are these?

Post by Bill »

3 is Aloe aristata type.

1 is Haworthia limofolia, hybrid probably

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Cactusgirl wrote:Hi can anyone I.d these please. Plant 1 I grew from seed planting them August 2017. I mistakenly thought it was Opuntia Ficus-Indica but now I have read they are spineless!
Also, can anyone shed any light on why my Ferocactus has gone red? It's kept at 5 degrees in my greenhouse and although South facing, I have shaded it to avoid scorching.
Thanks
Not all O. ficus-indica are spineless. Most have some small spines, some longer spines. Others loose their spines as they get older, past the seedling stage.

Same for the Ferocactus. It's a young plant and under a bit of stress during the winter. Hopefully it will grow out of it once it starts growing again in Spring. Might take a few years. I wouldn't panic.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi thanks so much for the information....some more labels I can now write!