Raised planting beds in a greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Raised planting beds in a greenhouse

Post by Paul in Essex »

Dave - nice idea but I think too ambitious for me!

Suzanne - thank you! Very useful information. I was thinking of planting a Euphorbia caerulescens, as it happens, that I got in a swap with Tina of this parish :) May have a rethink...
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Raised planting beds in a greenhouse

Post by DaveW »

As Suzanne says Cerei planted in beds can grow much quicker than in pots, but also may not flower so freely until tall. I had a Trichocereus in the bed which grew almost up to the ridge, putting on a foot of so growth each year but not flowering. I took a couple of 4ft cuttings off it and left them standing on the concrete path leaning against the greenhouse end meaning to get around to planting them and they flowered within a few weeks.

I left them standing there rootless and gradually dehydrating for another year and they flowered again. It's surprising how a "near death experience" encourages many plants to flower and try and set seed to pass on their genes.

This is a picture of them flowering the second year looking much thinner and still unrooted cuttings, whilst the main plant 6ft tall still did not flower. Those stems were at least 3.5 inches diameter and really turgid when first cut
bridgesii.jpg
As Suzanne also says, if they grow exuberantly in a greenhouse bed they do not develop the root system or woody skeleton to the same extent and unless secured when they are tall can suddenly fall over. I believe Kew had to take down some plants in their Palm House as they had become fairly tall and being inside the trees did not get the "wind rock" that strengthens their roots, so they were afraid they might fall on the visitors.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.