Matucana name

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tonto
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Matucana name

Post by Tonto »

Can someone tell me the new name for Matucana oreodoxa roseiflrus. I spoke with Graham Charles in September at ELK in Belgium and he mentioned DNA testing which proved it's not related to M. oreodoxa.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Matucana name

Post by DaveW »

Presumably if it was considered a good species it would be "Matucana roseiflora" (gender would need to match that of the genus, so roseiflora not roseiflorus). However the new combination would have to be legally made.

Why not just email Graham and ask? His email is on the Cactus Explorers page at the bottom of this link.

http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/meeting13.htm
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tonto
Registered Guest

Post by Tonto »

The plant and its label(with wrong spelling obviously ! ) came from Graham Charles ! I have tried emailing him but he never answers.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I'm fairly certain that a new name at species level hasn't been published to date. Technically, as there would be a change in rank from subspecies to species, a totally new name could be chosen although this would be unusual and unwarranted.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

Graham is enormously busy with writing, editing, librarianship, researching and travelling, not to mention propagation and his own collection. He can take a while to reply sometimes but is normally very helpful.

Matucana oreodoxa ssp. roseiflora G. J. Charles was named "conservatively" (pers. comm.) in 2011, subsequent to which DNA testing has been carried out on the genus (and others). So far as I know - and confirmed by the International Plant Names Index http://www.ipni.org/index.html - there is as yet no other valid name for this taxon. Graham is working on a much anticipated new book on Matucana, so all should become clear shortly.
Tonto
Registered Guest

Post by Tonto »

I shall be patient and wait a bit longer then! Thank you for your replies.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by cactuspip »

I hope Graham's book comes sooner than the second volume of the Steve Hammer mesembs series!!!!