E. Pulchellus Seedlings  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Magi
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

E. Pulchellus Seedlings

Post by Magi »

After recklessly exposing them to -10 or less degrees celsius while I was on Christmas vacation, these one-year-old Echinocereus pulchelles 'amoenus' appeared soft and squishy (but not mushy) upon my return, so I pretty much assume the worst.

I let them sit between 5-6 celsius on the windowsill for another 2 weeks in anticipation of them melting and shrivelling away, but they remained unchanged still.

I decided to examine the roots and to my surprise the underground tissues remain turgid if not robust.

Am I right that this is not a hopeless situation? The above ground portion of the plants are soft and wrinkled and had some characteristics that resembles tissue paper at the surface, in contrast with the seemingly unscathed taproots.

Are they dead? What should I do next?

Richard1933
Registered Guest

Re: E. Pulchellus Seedlings

Post by Richard1933 »

They look alive to me, re-pot and they should grow away. I'm sure in their natural habitat they would be exposed to such temperatures drops too so they look non the worse for the experience
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

They look fine. Note that many cacti can take a frost, especially when it is a one off occurrence even if it is a severe frost. And Echinocereus (although I don't know if there is much difference in species) in general are very frost hardy, -10C is in general not damaging to them.

The wrinkling is just because they are a bit thirsty. They can go on for months like that, so don't give them a drink.

I don't think you need to worry at all. Digging them out of the soil without a need is probably more damaging... Just repot and let them be.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: E. Pulchellus Seedlings  Solved

Post by DaveW »

These are of the same group two and half years on in the 2 inch pots they were sown in and have come through two years of -5C in my unheated greenhouse. Not quite as cold as yours, but they survived OK. Of course they were kept dry over winter so the sap thickens as a form of antifreeze.
seedlings.jpg
Even one year old seedlings have to stand the same conditions older plants do in habitat to survive, though they may get some shelter in the way of rocks or bushes. Bringing seedlings through their first winter warm and wet with extra light is something we do to get quicker growth, but most species certainly don't get that pampering in habitat.

If you can leave them in their original seedpans for longer without prematurely pricking them out and disturbing their roots as Aiko says, they do grow faster.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

And...done!
Back on my windowsill and left for the elements!

Thank you Aiko and Dave!