Identity crisis Tesco!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Identity crisis Tesco!

Post by Stuart »

The Hoya leaf will just be a rooted heart shaped leaf and will eventually die of old age! Hoya Kerrii needs a stem cutting in order to produce new growth. The leaves will root and look fancy in red pots for Valentines Day but they're not going to produce new growth.
Stuart
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Apparently not always the case Stuart, according to an article I read last year, I presume a proportion of cuttings have enough of an axillary bud to eventually sprout a shoot. They won’t stand low temperatures however unlike the much tougher Hoya carnosa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

JaneO wrote: I have only just mastered photos on IPad.....at least I thought I had! More practice required.
There has been a couple of threads about photos from tablets not appearing the correct way round, from my "tests" there is no easy way to ensure they display correctly.

I did see the heart shaped leaves on my last visit to Tesco and wondered what they were, didn't see the variegate though so might have another look today!
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

Hi Jim,
Hope you find Crassula sarmentosa varigata but if you fail, let me know. I have repotted mine into proper cactus mix. There are actually three separate plants. If you want one for cost of postage, I would do that once weather has warmed up. Also a couple of leaves fell off in transit - so don't know if they will root but I shall try! Looks as though IPad will be hit and miss! Very annoying!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Ali Baba,
I have repotted the Hoya kerrii into slightly larger pot and into more gritty substrate. Internet is divided on whether leaf will survive but I shall try my best! One thing, when I removed from tiny pot it would seem as though originally it was potted into even smaller pot and has hard almost cork like stuff affixed to leaf? I have left it in this as I felt I would do harm to try and remove same. Does this make sense to you and does it improve its chances of survival please? Sorry to be nuisance but you seem to have experience of this plant. I bought it coz it looked quirky....
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Hi Jane I think you have done the right thing, better to leave it be. As long as you keep it warm, slightly shaded and moist it has a chance of sprouting I think. However it can take over a year so be patient [emoji3]. I suspect the majority die of cold or neglect which is possibly why they don’t succeed. The original article is in The Garden Jan 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by JohnE »

As noted in my CactusWorld article last year (see caption for figure 22), buying rooted leaves of Hoya kerrii is not the best way to acquire this species because, as noted in this thread, stem growth is required. That said, if you can keep it alive long enough - it took mine well over a year - you may be lucky. Once a stem does start to develop growth is quite strong thereafter. Good luck!
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Thanks John and Ali Baba for your kind help. I will post again if it shows any sign of life! Please don't hold your breath......
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks John I knew there was a more recent article, must be getting old :oops:
JohnE
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by JohnE »

They say good things come to those who wait...

...my rooted leaf cutting of H. kerrii finally flowered after three years. It took about half that time before it even started to sprout a stem! Even now the stem is less than a foot (30cm) in length.
H kerrii - 1.jpg
H kerrii - 1.jpg (248.02 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
H kerrii - 2.jpg
H kerrii - 2.jpg (335.46 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
H kerrii - 3.jpg
H kerrii - 3.jpg (429.5 KiB) Viewed 1712 times