Logging on issue

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BryanW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Logging on issue

Post by BryanW »

If I'm correct, I think Chrome, Firefox and IE all store cookies in their own dedicated folders.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Had to login today :eek:
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

And again :mad:
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Still good for me!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I got in this morning without having to log in but this time I had to log in. :???:
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Bill

Post by Bill »

No issues on chrome on android phone. And there have been no changes to the forum.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Chrome on PC and Android tablet not keeping me logged in today, they do remember login info so the login fields are filled in (guess that is from Google account). The other browser on this tablet had kept me logged in.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

This is a technical reply so I hope I'm not breaking any rules of the forum?
Jim_Mercer wrote:Chrome on PC and Android tablet not keeping me logged in today, they do remember login info so the login fields are filled in (guess that is from Google account). The other browser on this tablet had kept me logged in.
Some browsers have a password & user-name storage option, they also remember 'Form data' ie when you fill in your details on a web site.

Forums like this one also have a timer for how long cookies/sessions last for and once that session expires you will need to login again. Forums rarely use the same expiry time in their set up.
Also there is often a function that remembers your last login IP address and if you have a different IP address than your last visit then that function can force you to login again.
Internet connections using your landline generally have a dynamic IP, so if you disconnect your HUB/router from the internet or use a connection elsewhere *ie your friends house) you'll usually come back online with a different IP address.

You can check your IP using a search engine with the search term 'Whats My IP' you will then be presented with a set of numbers unique to you for the current connection. If you record that on paper then check next time you have to login you might see that the IP numbers are different.

Sorry if thats a boring post but I hope it can explain why things happen.
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

All good stuff above.

Also if you power down your router/modem, chances are when you re-power it, you'll be give a new IP address also.
Same as disconnecting I suppose.....
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks Bryan and habanerocat for your helpful comments. In my case I haven't needed to log in for several years and suddenly I need to log in on almost every occasion. My router is permanently left on and I generally use the same PC to access the forum. I think it must be either a change on the operation of the website (which Bill says it isn't) or a recent download or update on my PC. I sometimes get conflicts on the PC after Windows 10 or Defender updates. I recently lost all sound for a couple of days. I'll monitor the situation and hope the cookie problem resolves itself.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.