John Lavranos RIP

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

John Lavranos RIP

Post by Bill »

Sad to announce the passing of another great plant person and friend of the society John Lavranos at the age of 91, he suffered a stroke a few days ago and slipped peacefully away last night. He was one of last of the great botanical explorers making extensive trips throughout Africa over a period of 60 years. His field collection numbers ran up to 32,000, he published 180 taxa and has 17 named after after him. I could write more but there is a great article on the pelargonium website which sums him up better than I could., RIP John.

http://pelargonium.si/wp/2017/07/31/not ... plantsman/
Last edited by Tony R on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: full web link added

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: John Lavranos RIP

Post by Paul in Essex »

I have had the privilege of meeting John on several occasions when staying with friends in the Algarve. Botanically his achievements speak for themselves but he was also the nicest man who was so generous with his time, plants and stories. Here a pic of him in his garden with the trademark twinkle in his eye.
lavranos.jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: John Lavranos RIP

Post by Al Laius »

John was a legend in his lifetime. His life and achievements will go down in history. I was due to visit him at the end of the month, alas no longer possible. RIP John.