Seedlings - a nice shade of red

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Duns
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Seedlings - a nice shade of red

Post by Duns »

I have a tray of mixed cacti seedlings that were sown in September 2017 and kept on a windowsill in the house. When I got my new propagator and 2 led grow lights I moved them into the greenhouse (heated to 3 - 5C) placed in the propagator (set to 20C) with lights set to operate from 6am to 8pm.

They have now turned a pinky/red colour which I presume is due to insufficient light and, or, temperature. Is there an hope for recovery once conditions are improved or are they a lost cause?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

John
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Re: Seedlings - a nice shade of red

Post by habanerocat »

Not a lost cause.

Have a read of the BCSS see raising leaflet. Pages are a bit mixed up.

http://www.society.bcss.org.uk/images/C ... atemix.pdf

Red is often a sign of stress, perhaps in your case too much light. I'd also consider dropping the temperature a few degrees. From now on it may start getting very hot inside the propogator. You'll need to keep a close watch.
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Many thanks Habanerocat - I will reduce propagator temperature and reduce the grow lamp duration and see if that helps.

John
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Red colour is not due to too little light. Too strong sunlight could turn the plants red, but propagator lights (plus January sunlight) shouldn't be a problem. At propagator temperatures, the seedlings will want plenty of water - the red colour may be stress from being too dry at those temperatures. Keep going with the propagator but keep the seedlings well watered.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thanks Mike - will do.

John
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Propagator lights, depending on strength, can certainly turn cactus seedlings red. Red is certainly from some sort of stress, but usually high light or low temperatures rather than just lack of water. 3-5C is pretty chilly for most cactus seedlings and would contribute to the colour. 20C is also not particularly warm and they'd probably grow better a bit warmer.

Slightly reddish colouring, which tends to appear brown in combination with the natural green, is not a problem. Bright red, scarlet, and shading to pink, is too much and you should try to reduce the stress that is causing it. No reason for it to be immediately fatal, but longterm it is asking for trouble. Growth has probably been set back and might have to be patient for them to get moving again. Colouring varies between species, but generally a dark green shading to a slight reddish tinge is good. Some species stubbornly refuse to go red even when stressed, others go quite strong red in very modest light. Some of the densely-spined Mammillarias go red and there's very little you can do to stop it until they grow a good covering of their own:
albiflora2.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thank you very much Iann for your advice and associated explanation - very helpful.

Combined with the advice from Habanerocat and Mike my plan is formulated :grin:

1 Reduce lighting - the propagator is in a position of good light in the greenhouse.

2 Increase propagator temperature to say 23C

3 Check moisture every day and water as necessary.

Thank you all once more.

John