new garden centre buys

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mandy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

new garden centre buys

Post by Mandy »

decided to go for a ride to the garden centre yesteday and look what i found and couldnt resist. no name tags but i think i know what they are. trichocereus spactianus, and a pachycerus pringlei, am i wright!
1517737034223840462070.jpg
1517737034223840462070.jpg
1517737157822-616460092.jpg
Attachments
1517737101377-2060232653.jpg
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: new garden centre buys

Post by Stuart »

The Senecio is Senecio Herreianus, easy to grow in full sun but needs room to trail.
Stuart
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

with so many ribs and the diameter of the plant Trichocereus schickendantzii for me (the specy or an hybrid ?)
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

the senecio will be going into a hanging basket. thankyou for your comments.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

The trichocereus (whatever the species) is rather etiolated and needs to be in a much brighter location.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
KeithG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by KeithG »

Being a newbie to cacti and succulents I googled Trichocereus schickendantzii to work out which is which and it told me that it is an Echinopsis. Which got me wondering, out of interest, what is considered to be the ultimate authority by you guys when it comes to current taxonomy?

Another question- how much did they cost Mandy!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

KeithG wrote:what is considered to be the ultimate authority by you guys when it comes to current taxonomy?
Short answer - there isn't one; there can't be one. The closest you get is when something approaching a consensus forms around a particular view. Some plants' names are less contentious than others.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

hi rod just put the cacti into the bubbled rapped greenhouse. do you think that it will be ok and light enough for it.or would you think it would do better in the house on a light window sill. suggestions welcome thankyou.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

KeithG wrote:Being a newbie to cacti and succulents I googled Trichocereus schickendantzii to work out which is which and it told me that it is an Echinopsis. Which got me wondering, out of interest, what is considered to be the ultimate authority by you guys when it comes to current taxonomy?
Some authorities are "Lumpers" and some authorities are "Splitters".

If Messrs Lumper and Splitter ever got together to write a Lexicon goodness knows how long it would take to get published. :shock: :roll:
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Mandy wrote:hi rod just put the cacti into the bubbled rapped greenhouse. do you think that it will be ok and light enough for it.or would you think it would do better in the house on a light window sill. suggestions welcome thankyou.
I reckon the greenhouse will be ideal. Don't water it until late March/early April though.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.