What The...?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LANCASTER

What The...?

Post by Herts Mike »

Yesterday I was checking out Huernia zebrina and came across the National Gardening Association (American) site which has an excellent database of plants and pictures.

But.. The Huernias and all other Stapeliads i.e. Hoodias, Stapelias, Pseudolithos etc. had all been reduced to synonymy with Ceropegia!

I contacted John Pilbeam yesterday evening and it seem Peter Bruyns THE Stapeliad expert has decided that the rule of prior description should apply and has gone back to Linnaeus in 1753 who first described them all as Ceropegia.

Nobody is going to accept that. You might as well have all cacti in the genus Cactus or all trees in a genus Tree!
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: What The...?

Post by juster »

I quite agree Mike, an extraordinary decision and one that doesn't make any sense.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

You don't have to follow every guideline (I see it as that). I just keep calling Homalocephala texensis that way. I like the name, learned the plant under that name and we all know which individual plant it is so there will be (or should be) no confusion on genus level about whatever synonym used.

Regarding asclepiads, I just keep on using the names Pseudolithos and such. Wonder if species name will conflict. Renaming species is not something I would encourage, as to avoid confusion on species level.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING

Post by rodsmith »

To misquote Shakespeare: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Now, when will someone do the opposite, and split Euphorbia up? :grin:
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SCUNTHORPE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

Herts Mike wrote:......it seem Peter Bruyns THE Stapeliad expert has decided that the rule of prior description should apply and has gone back to Linnaeus in 1753 who first described them all as Ceropegia.
But surely that would only apply to those species described as Ceropegia by Linnaeus, not those discovered and described since?

Typical adademic taxonomy taken to it's extreme anyway!
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Phil_SK
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Yes, he hasn't decided the rule of priority should apply: it applies. It's more that, having decided to combine several genera, his choice of Ceropegia for the genus into which he transfers the others is based on priority - it will be the oldest of the genera he has combined.
I can't access the article but there's a hint of his reasoning in the abstract at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9916339242
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Looking at the abstract provided by Phil, it looks as though we have a similar situation to that which arose from the DNA systematics work on Aloe/Haworthia. The choice there was either to have a mega-genus Aloe, or to set up various segregate genera; the latter having won out. Hardly anyone is going to accept a mega-genus Ceropegia, so it looks as though there is a great opportunity here again for someone to create new segregate genera from Ceropegia. Any volunteers?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LANCASTER

Post by Herts Mike »

I shan't be changing my labels just yet...
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Whenever there are scientists who take such radical positions, I think it's a point of view and it's to us to decide to apply this new classification or not.
There I do not adhere
Prior description has limits (td)