Argyroderma testiculare

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Argyroderma testiculare

Post by Ali Baba »

I knew I had a piccy somewhere..
Didy2_zps8d013659.JPG
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

That is a great achievement and the plant looks splendid in flower. Well done.

For my French friend: a rain shadow area is on the other side of a mountain away from the prevailing direction of the weather. So in the Western Cape of South Africa, the rain occurs with cold fronts that come in over the Atlantic from the west. They hit the Cederberg where they deposit the rain and there is no moisture left in the weather system to deposit rain on the far side of the mountain. Other low-rainfall areas of western RSA such as the Knersvlakte and Richtersveld have frequent fogs that add to the available moisture, but I suspect the Tanqua Karoo does not get these either.
Mafate79
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Mafate79 »

Ali Baba, congratulation for this great success! (tu) And thank you Terry for the details, it's totally clear now.

Here are my seedlings from the MSG3181 seeds: 21 seeds sown on December 20, 2017 (61 days old) in a 5 cm pot. The ones who want to live seem to be quick growers, but the other ones... :???:
DSC_0451 (Copier).JPG
DSC_0453 (Copier).JPG
John Pilbeam
BCSS President

Re: Didymaotus photo in flower

Post by John Pilbeam »

I am looking for a photo I saw on the forum of Didymaotus in flower by Ali Baba, as I am working on a book on Succulents, and have a lovely photo of this plant in habitat, but no in flower. I'd be pleased to hear from Ali.
John Pilbeam (jpilbeam@tiscali.co.uk)
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Re: Argyroderma testiculare FLOWERS AT LAST!

Post by Ali Baba »

Finally! A bit of winter sun inbetween the showers...
Argy.jpeg
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BERKHAMSTED & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

Very nice :smile:
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

BrianMc wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm I have been growing argyroderma for years. Dead easy from seed and in my experience, one of the fastest mesembryanthemum to germinate. Often on the second and third day. [...]
I will allow myself to revive an older thread to not create unneeded new ones: I have sown A. testiculare seeds 20 days ago (8/09), they were sitting next to other seeds with pretty decent germination (e.g. Fenestraria with 10/15 seeds up) so I would assume the conditions were okay - indoor, not so far from grow lights keeping most of my C&S happy, 50/50 JI Seeds and ECP moler clay granules, but there is only one, tiny seedling showing up in this pot.

Given the quote above, should I blame the seeds at this point and remove it from the bag? I guess so, so I will just keep it moist by misting daily and hope for a few more seedlings to pop out!
Mat