Suggestions for succulent companions for Lewisia please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KeithG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Suggestions for succulent companions for Lewisia please

Post by KeithG »

I have a large stainless steel wire basket (50cm tall x 70cm diameter) that I intend to plant up with Lewisia and succulents. I'm going to line it with coir matting with holes/slots cut into it to grow plants through.
In the winter it will go under the lean-to between the greenhouse and the shed which is closed on three sides so it will be cold but dry. If it gets proper arctic I'll bubble wrap the planter or shove it in the shed.
What I'm looking for is suggestions for small'ish succulents to spread the blooming season and take a fair bit of dry cold. I have a goodly few Lewisia (just the common ones from GC's) to dot around the sides, an Echeveria agavoides to go in the top, a couple of Echeveria pulvinata for the sides, some Sempervivum arachnoides, Graptopetalum (paraguayense?), Sedeveria and (another non succulent) Saxifrage stolonifera if needs be.
I'm wondering about;
1] other Echeveria with small to medium rosettes
2] a medium sized column cactus
3] maybe a round (is that correct?) cactus
4] a couple of Opuntia to grow out of the sides

Plus anything else that may fit the bill. All suggestions welcomed and any photos are always appreciated.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Re: Suggestions for succulent companions for Lewisia please

Post by JaneO »

These are bits I've overwintered in conservatory - saves heating greenhouse. I could supply bits of all - names might be harder....
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Nice project! I would consider adding Sedum palmeri, which trails naturally, and Echeveria rosea, which will also trail - both planted into the sides. Aeonium cuneatum would start to trail once it makes offsets, too, as would Aeonium simsii. I have all these planted outside here so they would do even better if kept dry.
sedumpalmeri1.jpg
echeveriarosea1.jpg
aeoniumcuneatumhabitat.jpg
aeoniumsimsiihort (1).jpg
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Thanks for the replies (tu)

JaneO - I may take you up on your offer later in the year if that is ok? I need to work out what I can plant out (in terms of my herbaceous plants from seed) to free up space. Being weak I've just received a parcel full of tender bulbs from another forum so space is even more limited now.

Paul - Interesting choices. I particularly like E.rosea.

Does anyone have any experience of growing Gasteria affinis (bicolor) and x Gasteraloe in a similar manner to what I'm proposing?
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Keith,
No problem about any bits. Let me know when you are ready. Can't help with your further request sorry!
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

JaneO wrote: I could supply bits of all - names might be harder....
The large green rosette one in the 1st pic looks like a variety of Aeonium Haworthii Variegata, only reason I know is because I've just aquired one :lol:
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

It can be tricky identifying Aeonium rosettes, but I suspect that it's a reversion from the cristate 'Sunburst' behind it. If the stem is actually attached, that would confirm it.
The plant with red leaves in the same photo is Crassula pellucida marginalis rubra. There's also Crassula muscosa and possibly xCremnosedum 'Little Gem'.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for some names. I'm very pleased I have these bits in conservatory as my greenhouse is minus 5 here and there are lots of casualties. We have been hit hard by Emma today. Outside it is minus 4 but the wind is biting.
Coldest I ever remember. Nothing I can do to rescue stuff until it stops snowing........
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

The aforementioned plant in a 4" pot, it's a bit tatty at the moment as it only arrived on Tuesday & was -3c outside, I've put it close to the window as I don't want to shock it with heat.
Aeonium Haworthii Variegata
Aeonium Haworthii Variegata
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Same Aeonium but better images. Bound to be upside down but hopefully won't matter. Don't think it's Sunburst Mike.
IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG