Suggestions for succulent companions for Lewisia please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BryanW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Suggestions for succulent companions for Lewisia please

Post by BryanW »

Jane that's a much healthier looking plant (2nd pic?) than my bedraggled specimen, cleaner too :oops:
Enthusiastic novice with a keen interest in South African flora
A Member of; Haworthia Society - BCSS - MSG
BCSS Member 51898
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi BryanW,
If you had asked I would have sent you a bit! The offer still stands and any other bits from other photos. I explained they are overwintering so won't stay like this! Probably safer to wait until warmer but send me PM if you want anything.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

Thank you for the kind offer Jane (tu) however I've got too many plants now, I fear I have too many seeds on the go too (again). I had to trash 100 dahlias last year because I got too overzealous :lol:
I've taken petals off that Aeonium as the bottom rung had a few damaged ones on arrival and I've put 3 of the better ones in for rooting :|. The way it's looking my grow box will need to be turned into a double deck with more fans and lights for my mesembs.

My other half has a new phrase when she comes home from work 'Not More Plants' :lol:
BCSS Member 51898
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Don't hold your breath on rooting leaves from Aeonium. It is well nigh impossible for me anyway. Rosettes and stems work best.
BryanW
BCSS Member

Post by BryanW »

JaneO wrote:Don't hold your breath on rooting leaves from Aeonium. It is well nigh impossible for me anyway. Rosettes and stems work best.
I wasn't sure if they would work, oh well at least it frees up another pot.
BCSS Member 51898
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

The 3 Aeoniums don't look the same to me. The middle one could be a 'Sunburst' reversion, which means a non-variegated shoot from a variegated plant. The first one looks to be a different species, with the tannic stripe (the reddish brown mark down the centre of the leaf). Or are they all propagated from the same plant!?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
KeithG
Registered Guest

Post by KeithG »

Another one that looks like a good bet for my planter (after it sailed through the recent cold snap) is Aristaloe aristata. It was in my unheated greenhouse under fleece and bubble wrap and is totally undamaged. Likewise (what I believe to be) A.mitriformis but that will be too large for this project.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

With regard to the last three pictures of Aeoniums. The top one is Aeonium leucoblepharum. The two below that are Aeonium haworthii. Behind the A haworthii are Aeonium 'Sunburst' cristate, some of the rosettes have reverted to the normal A 'Sunburst' and should be removed and rooted. Leave them on and they will swap the plant and you risk losing all the cristate rosettes.
I would also suggest that Paul's Aeonium simsii is Aeonium hybridus, I have it too and that was wrongly named as well I have attached a picture of A simsii taken in Gran Canaria.
Aeonium simsii
Aeonium simsii
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Liz,
Thanks for your names!
I have removed the naughty Sunburst reversion.......

As you can see....it's not part of cristate form.
IMG_2554.JPG
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Liz M wrote: I would also suggest that Paul's Aeonium simsii is Aeonium hybridus, I have it too and that was wrongly named as well
Absolutely, Liz. The real thing behaves more like a sempervivum that whatever mutt passes by that name over here. Both the real one and this hybrid seem equally hardy with me although the real one is more of a winter grower and kind of shuts down shop for the summer.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.