Hylotelephium

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JaneO
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hylotelephium

Post by JaneO »

Where on earth did this name come from. What happened to Stonecrop and Sedum? Or is this different....Just get used to one name and it's changed!
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hylotelephium

Post by Tony R »

The choice is yours, Jane, lumpers and splitters again.

The genus Hylotelephium has been around since 1977. In Ray Stephenson's book on Sedums in 1994, he considered it as a subgenus of Sedum, picture below (ignore the typo in the subgenus name).

My local garden centre sells both plants of Sedum spectabile and Hylotelephium spectabile, under "S" and "H" in their alphabetical display of sales plants! But they are identical plants in identical pots!
IMG_0329.JPG
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Incidentally, Jane, the above photo was taken using an iPhone in Landscape format with the 'shutter button' on the right hand side. If I'd held the phone with the button on the left hand side, then it would have given me an 'upside down' picture. Another example of the (Apple) world favouring 'right-handed' people - you guessed it, I am left-handed! :smile:
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Tony,
Well thanks I guess. I have never come across Hylotelephium until today! Some people need more to occupy their minds and then I might keep up! I'm beginning to hate the term lumpers/splitters! Thanks for explanation anyway. I have iPhone 6 and photo taken with white button on front? Button on right turns phone off and buttons on left are volume up/down? I'm none the wiser but great your photo was right way up!
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

JaneO wrote:Hi Tony,
I have iPhone 6 and photo taken with white button on front?
Yes - white button on front (by my finger), ie on the right when you are taking a photo, as below:
Photo of iPhone 6 taken with an iPhone 8
Photo of iPhone 6 taken with an iPhone 8
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Ah see what you mean now! Thanks for your kind words re Aeonium. Promise I won't post it again before Easter.....unless it goes really purple.....
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Tony R wrote:Incidentally, Jane, the above photo was taken using an iPhone in Landscape format with the 'shutter button' on the right hand side. If I'd held the phone with the button on the left hand side, then it would have given me an 'upside down' picture. Another example of the (Apple) world favouring 'right-handed' people - you guessed it, I am left-handed! :smile:
Get an Android phone, then. With my One Plus 5, I can turn it either way round (button on left or right in landscape), and the picture comes the right way up right in either case. And it cost half the price of an iPhone X, yet has excellent performance. :grin:
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk