Warm enough

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Warm enough

Post by Herts Mike »

It was warm enough at the weekend for the vents to open!
IMG_3668.JPG
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Warm enough

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Mike, I don't know about others, but when I see my vents opening in the Spring I get very exited at the thought of the new growing season lol, and I have been growing foe nearly forty years old. Cheers
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

My vents also opened at the weekend, always an exciting sign of Spring!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RICHAUD »

and at what temperature these automatic openings open because it's still early ?
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

About 20c internally.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

20 ° it's low to have a greenhouse opening
30 ° would be more reasonable
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

That is an interesting comment Richaud from somebody living in a slightly different climate. Are you in the south of France? Most UK growers would certainly want some ventilation when the greenhouse was up to 20C and that is the lowest temperature at which most vents will actuate. I have a mixture of manual and auto vents because in the winter I would tend to ventilate the greenhouse at even lower temperatures for a few hours if the weather was dry, just to reduce humidity levels inside the greenhouse.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Yes Terry I'm in the south of France (Le Cannet near Cannes)
now it's 0°C in the morning (3° in the greenhouse ) and 10° at 12 h
But with the sun ( not often right now because of the maritime inputs ) in the greenhouse 25-30° and the vents stay closed
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

It depends ... on so many things.

At this time of year I'll certainly want ventilation if the sun is strong enough to push the temperature to 20C (and there's no other reason it would reach that temperature in February), because I want to keep the humidity down (getting easier every day now) and not overheat the winter growers.

In summer, I wouldn't necessarily want to ventilate on days that only just scrape to 20C in the greenhouse, but on sunny days I'd have everything possible open or off because 14+ hours of high sun through unshaded glass is brutal.

Then there is the variety of ways people have to measure temperature, which effectively makes comparisons completely pointless.
Cheshire, UK