MSG Bulletin

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jhb
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: MSG Bulletin

Post by jhb »

Got my MSG bulletin yesterday. Seed list looks good. A good read as always.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Rob »

Bulletin arrived in Caistor on 22nd, good going considering when we did the seed distribution for the Haworthia Society we often got seed orders before or alongside Haworthiad, including once from Jersey before our Haworthiad was delivered!
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

My seeds arrived this morning, what speedy service, I can't say how much I appreciate the efforts of Jennifer and team on this. They deserve a medal.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

There is a possibility that the seed list in this Bulletin has been published on-line. The list is for members only and should not be in the public domain. I wonder if anyone has seen this, perhaps it is on one of the social media sites?
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Terry S. wrote:There is a possibility that the seed list in this Bulletin has been published on-line. The list is for members only and should not be in the public domain. I wonder if anyone has seen this, perhaps it is on one of the social media sites?
I've seen requests for pictures of the list in a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/Conophytumlithops/ but nothing posted to the group but perhaps done via pm
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Are you getting requests for seeds in from non-members?
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I found something online, sent to Terry in PM. No bulletin yet though (maybe next week with some luck) ...
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

A member posted the latest MSG bulletin front cover (excellent as usual Brian) on Facebook and mentioned the seed list. I (in my wisdom :???: and with the best intentions) thought it might be a good idea to post a copy of the seed list to show non MSG members what they are missing.....in the hope it might attract others to join the MSG. I can see why it might be an issue if perhaps it gave the impression that anyone could order seeds or something like that.....but it hasn't been published so there is no problem.

What it has raised though is much frustration from overseas members that they are missing out on the best from the seed list due to UK members receiving their bulletins before anyone else. Some are even speculating that this is intended.....that there's some kind of conspiracy or that it's "fixed" to benefit UK members. It's causing some bad feeling which is a shame.

It's been pointed out that this is nonsense but suspicion prevails. I have explained that it's all done on a voluntary basis and those involved do the best they can in the available time. Many are advocating various "fixes" in order to give every member equal opportunity. One which strikes me as possible is to do a multiple emailing of the seed list to every member who supplies an email address for the purpose. Once set up it shouldn't be difficult to add and subtract addresses as some fail to renew and others join. The probably very few members who do not have an email address can still order via post as usual........but those who do (and that's surely the majority) would get a fair and equal chance to get their order in soonest.

I look forward to getting shot down in flames! :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

New member here from Ontario Canada, also yet to receive the bulletin. The wait continues.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

ChrisR wrote: One which strikes me as possible is to do a multiple emailing of the seed list to every member who supplies an email address for the purpose. Once set up it shouldn't be difficult to add and subtract addresses as some fail to renew and others join. The probably very few members who do not have an email address can still order via post as usual........but those who do (and that's surely the majority) would get a fair and equal chance to get their order in soonest. I look forward to getting shot down in flames! :lol:
This is exactly what the Haworthia Society does. When a seed list is sent with a journal, it is also emailed two days later to all current members worldwide for whom we have an email address. Many overseas (as well as UK) members respond promptly. For information, 93% of our current members have a valid email address.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)