MSG Bulletin

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
mary44
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: MSG Bulletin

Post by mary44 »

Terry: - thank you for explaining. That sounds a clever way to do it and it is so much easier to sow the seeds from the tissue rather than chasing around a seed packet for the seeds that have decided to hide in folds of the envelope. And as Ragamala said your efforts are really appreciated. Edited to add I meant this to include Jennifer and all the donors and everyone associated with the MSG and it's seed distribution.

Would it be a thought for you to have some help with packing and distribution? You must have good stocks of the seeds though as only one conophytum is unavailable at the moment so people's fears of there being no seeds left seem to be unwarranted so far.

I too have been told stories of the determined Chinese using addresses outside of China and making multiple accounts in order to bypass any restrictions on packet numbers, this wasn't all for MSG but I imagine they could be using similar tactics here.
Last edited by mary44 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote:
ragamala wrote:Re China, Chinese members are apparently not allowed to order anyway, so I don't see that as a big problem.
Be aware many Chinese have contacts in other countries in the world, and use that address to order seeds. So they get their hands on seeds, one way or the other.
I think the point is, whatever the address, if there is an absolute requirement for a membership number the problem is small. Especially if the seed can only be sent to the registered bulletin mailing address. But in any event, if Chinese members use surreptitious methods to order seed because of their own country's regulation, MSG can not be held responsible? And maybe shouldn't discriminate? It's all membership money in the bank!

As I see from the current Bulletin, it's not only Chinese members who have problems, with obstacles raised by US, Australian and New Zealand authorities. I wonder whether this list will increase in length after Brexit :wink:
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

If you look at the MSG accounts, you will see that the subscriptions total £8468 and the cost of printing and mailing the Bulletin is £9612, the deficit being made up by other activities such as back issues and plant sales. So members actually cost the Group money rather than being a financial asset as suggested in the previous post. So if somebody in the far east uses two German aliases to obtain two full sets of seed, probably to resell at a big profit, that would not be to the benefit of "ordinary" members, particularly if they did not get their seeds as a result.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Just got my bulletin tonight. Judging by the message on the seed list status page choice may be limited ...
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

Astro wrote:Just got my bulletin tonight. Judging by the message on the seed list status page choice may be limited ...
The lack of seed remaining is probably due to people taking advantage of the MSG's offer to email the list to any members who wished a copy who hadn't received their bulletin from the 9th March. I imagine most people will have done that and requested their seeds soon afterwards. Did you not see this on the seed availability page?
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

My apologies to Astro and other MSG members who have received their Bulletins rather late. Many foreign members seem to have access to a "Dark Web" where the seed list has been circulating almost since it has been published and we have been snowed under with orders. I am sorry that Emails are not getting acknowledged in a timely manner; Jennifer and I have barely managed to cope. This year's demand for mesemb seeds is unprecedented. In past years we have survived the four month mailing season with only about 10 - 15% of species unavailable at the end of it. This year, the remaining stocks are now very low and we have mailed in the region of 9000 packets. Things will change next year.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Marisa
Registered Guest

Post by Marisa »

I received my newsletter today.
As I look at the bulletin and see how to correctly order the seeds with my poor English ... I do not know if there will be any.
Marisa
Registered Guest

Post by Marisa »

Astro wrote:Just got my bulletin tonight. Judging by the message on the seed list status page choice may be limited ...
Please, can anyone put the link to see this?

Edito: I found the page, thanks.
Last edited by Marisa on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote:Many foreign members seem to have access to a "Dark Web" where the seed list has been circulating almost since it has been published and we have been snowed under with orders............... Things will change next year.
Hi Terry. I don't think the reference to "dark web" implying some sort of skulduggery is altogether how I see it, even if I don't know the facts. The bulletin announced the email opportunities for foreign members to order. It is not surprising perhaps that if we are a community, some individuals may have shared the list with fellow-members. There is nothing underhand about that surely? If you have proof the list was shared to the public that may be a different matter.

If you have been snowed under, I would take it as a positive affirmation of appreciation for all the hard work you and Jennifer have put in over the years.

I am sure that if changes for next year would be assisted by extra volunteers you won't be short of offers of help.