Note on sowing Disocactus amazonica

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
kohinoor
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Note on sowing Disocactus amazonica

Post by kohinoor »

Before i Sow,I did some research and found this:
http://kamemushi01.at.webry.info/201207/article_35.html
his seedling grow first "true leave" several month after germinate.
Normal cactus will grow "true leave"(spine) weeks after germinate.
It seems like seedling tend to petrifact. Show no sign of growth at all for several month.
So i know i have to wait .What i have not except is IT IS REALLY SLOW.

Seed from KK,sow 40 seeds on 2017/7/10.One batch use normal sowing method but seal in plastic bag.
The other batch use Fleischer Method.After germinate i put first batch in my greenhouse and second glass jar batch inside my room near window.

For entire summer my seedling just sitting there doing nothing.It was frustrated.
I try to re-pot change soil mix and even graft,all failed.Only those in glass jar remain.

What i learn is that seedling need a very consistent environment especially on light and humidity.
My green house is not the best place for them.They will benefit form indoor cultivate and artificial light.
And be patient, any operation will only disturb seedling.

Finally on 2017/11 my seedling finally grow it's first "leaf"

Afraid of they will grow too big to take out from jar,I re pot them on 2017/12.And prepare for future graft.

One seedling has grow big enough to graft so i did.
I use Hylocereus seedling as stuck.No pressure apply.Put them in to plastic bag and artificial light. temp 25C

Graft success now they show visible growth.

hope i can see the mythical blue flower soon.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)