Lithops sowing  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
pvdw
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops sowing

Post by pvdw »

Hi all. Our autumn is getting closer and now is the time for us to get our Lithops seeds in the pots.

I planted some in spring and most of them are doing well. Our summers are just to hot for them te realy grow well. One mistake and all seedlings in a pot will turn white and die of overheating. :cry:

I prepared 96 pots about 10 days ago. Watered them today one week ago. 92 out of the 96 pots has sown live. Some with only 1,2 or 3 seedlings and then other with as much as 30.

Watered another 24 pots on Tuesday so today is only day 2 so I will report back in a few days. I hope for good results with this sowing as well 8-)

So in total I have 120 pots going now. Here is a few picks of my setup.

This is the pots filled with soil ready for sowing,
Attachments
lit3.jpg
Last edited by pvdw on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvdw
Registered Guest

Re: Lithops sowing  Solved

Post by pvdw »

Here you can see the gravel I use as well as the shade netting to protect them.

The containers I use is cat sand boxes. Each one has a hole in it pluged with a cork. I let the pots stand in about 1cm of water for the first 3 days and then I drain the water. From there on I mist from the top mostly but if I feel like it I water from the bottom again.
Attachments
lit2.jpg
lit1.jpg
lit1.jpg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops sowing

Post by BrianMc »

Very neat set up. Good luck with those.
I am just about ready to start sowing some here too.
Although I have successfully sown Conophytum and other mesembs in late summer early autumn I prefer to sow the sphaeroid mesembs from February to April. I find that is the best time in order to use natural lighting and temperature in this part of the world.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON

Post by iann »

I'll be sowing too this week. Probably not 120 pots though! Spring here (maybe, soon, fingers crossed), but the tiny ones will go through an English summer with a little care.
Cheshire, UK
pvdw
Registered Guest

Post by pvdw »

Some feedback.

Today 12 days after sowing the first 96 pots 95 has germinated seeds and they mulyiply on a daily basis. Pot number 96 is D van Zylii and I think our cloudy weather may be the culprit for the no result there.

Then today 7 days later after watering another 24 pots I can give feedback that all 24 of those pots are germinating well.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

pvdw wrote:Pot number 96 is D van Zylii and I think our cloudy weather may be the culprit for the no result there.
Dinteranthus vanzylii has a mind on its own. I have experience on multiple occasions at first it does not germinate, but might a year or two years later after a restart.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Yes I too have found that Dinteranthus vanzylii can be unpredictable. But I have noticed that if it is sown under the same conditions as Lithops it can be a little slow. If given a higher temperature it germinates better and quicker.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
pvdw
Registered Guest

Post by pvdw »

Will wait some more for the Dintherantus seeds to germinate. Our autumn is on its way and days are getting cooler so I think I am running out of time.
pvdw
Registered Guest

Post by pvdw »

First 6 Diteranthus seeds has germinated!!! (tu) :grin: . Now it is 120/120 pots with seedlings. :cool: :cool: