SilverHill Seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

SilverHill Seeds

Post by Bill »

Sad to hear the news that Rodney and Rachel Saunders owners of Silverhill are feared to have been murdered by Islamic extremists in South Africa, they disappeared two weeks ago, money has been withdraw from their bank and their vehicle found cover in blood, two suspects are in custody. :sad:

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Re: SilverHill Seeds

Post by Bill »

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike »

That's utterly appalling news. I've been in touch with them several times by email over recent years - they were always friendly and helpful.

It seems stories in the media are a little confused. Neither BBC nor Reuters are yet covering the story. And at least one website is saying 'South African investigators probing the couple’s disappearance said terrorism may not be the cause of the couple’s disappearance and caution that, at present, their investigation has not found any terror links'.

Whatever, it's a sobering reflection of the risks some people take to research and source the plants we love to grow.

Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Tragic news. The last photograph?

final tweet
final tweet
tweet.jpg (210.02 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

That is such shocking news. Appalling beyond words. I must have been buying from them for nearly 30 years and had the most fantastic advice.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

This is tragic and so pointless. After reading Paul's experience in Mexico I wonder how safe plant hunting and seed collecting is these days.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Bill wrote:Sad to hear the news that Rodney and Rachel Saunders owners of Silverhill are feared to have been murdered by Islamic extremists in South Africa, they disappeared two weeks ago, money has been withdraw from their bank and their vehicle found cover in blood, two suspects are in custody. :sad:
Bill, I would be very suspicious about anything published by the Mail. I think this tragic incident should not be laid at the door of "Islamic extremists" without some proof. Let's not fuel xenophobia and racism by prejudgement.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I said "feared to have been" that's not the same as "have been" and several other sources like the Times are carrying the same story and I was originally told by someone much closer to the source than UK newspapers!

And had I have said killed by Muslims that may be seen as racist or xenophobic, but I know there is a big difference between Islamic extremists and the Muslims I work with everyday!

Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

That is shocking and appalling news. I've had nothing but great experiences with them over the years. I hope they may, somehow, still be found alive and well.
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Mike »

I fear the more time passes, the less the chance of a happy ending.
This appears to be the latest development: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa ... s-13496537
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.