Should I Re-pot?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Duns
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Should I Re-pot?

Post by Duns »

I have an Aloe which I think is A. doran black and its flower stalks are starting to emerge. I am keen to re-pot it, however I am concerned that if I do this now it will interfere with the development of the flowers. Should I leave it for now or is it safe to press on?

John
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Should I Re-pot?

Post by Stuart »

Can't see any harm in repotting though I suppose the term is technically 'potting on' . I always prefer to leave the soil ball intact rather than mess about with the roots. If in a greenhouse I still wouldn't water yet even if it is coming into flower.
Stuart
Duns
BCSS Member
Branch: YORK

Post by Duns »

Many thanks Stuart for your advice - I will press on and pot-on :grin:

John
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Can you help me understand the technical differences between repotting and potting on? We don't appear to know here whether this is a need to increase pot size or just change the soil.
As for the original question, if you can achieve the operation without too much root damage, then it will probably not cause to much upset. But if you do damage the root system, the plant may choose to divert resources. What is interesting of course is that a threat to life often leads plants to try to reproduce, so flowering could even be promoted.....
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

If anything 'potting on' is to give a growing plant a larger pot to grow in as it increases in size.

To 'repot' would not necessarily require a larger pot, but introduce new soil to a plant that has been in the same pot for a number of years.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I think we tend to say 'repot' when we're actually 'potting on' a plant. My personal preference is that if a plant seems to be growing OK then I'd just give it a larger pot and disturb the roots as little as possible. I'd make an exception for Haworthias that seem to grow much better roots in pumice, in that case I usually remove the soil and repot in pumice.
Stuart