How did you do with the Pachypodium seed?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

How did you do with the Pachypodium seed?

Post by Nick_G »

Last year I sent some Pachypodium seed to a dozen or so forum members, I'd be interested to know how successful you were with it, especially the P.brevicaule seed from Mount Ibity. Mine germinated well but they all damped off. The P.brevicaule seed from Angliasiango did a bit better, I have 3 surviving seedlings, but I suspect this may be a hybrid with P.densiflorum as they are very vigorous, there were hybrids at the mixed site. Everything else did well for me, though I have lost some of the P.densiflorum over the winter.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: How did you do with the Pachypodium seed?

Post by ragamala »

I was very grateful for your sharing that seed, and have a small crop of Pachypodiums resulting.

First germination after sowing was -
Pachypodium brevicaule Mount Ibity 6 days
Pachypodium densiflorum Anja Ambalavio 4 days
Pachypodium horombense 13km n Ihosy on RN7 5 days
Pachypodium mikea Rd to Salary N of Ifaty 3 days

2 of the brevicaule I sowed (probably no more than 5) germinated and survive
I have 11 seedlings out of the packet of 14 seeds densiflorum
7 of 12 horombense, though 1 looks sickly now
1 of 3 mikea germinated and is growing strongly

For some inexplicable reason I didn't sow all the brevicaule. I sowed the rest (7 seeds) a few days ago and am wondering how viable that will be after a year.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I had the same four as ragamala. For some reason I didn't sow them at the same time as the rest of my seed in February and I think this was more to do with a belief that they would do better if I waited until the warmer months. They were then overlooked until late summer and were sown on 10 August 2017. All pots germinated at least two seeds (didn't keep such good records as ragamala). The brevicaule and horombense didn't last very long. The two densiflorum made it to Christmas but just shrivelled away in the new year. Both of the mikea that germinated are doing well.
In hindsight, they'd've been better cared for if I'd sown them in February when my mind is more focussed on seed raising, plus, of course, they'd've been bigger and better able to overwinter. :sad:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Thanks Alan and Phil. You did well with the P.brevicaule Alan.

It was my first time with Pachypodium seed. P.brevicaule probably needs high heat, loads of light and not too wet, to thrive. Mount Ibity is a hot unshaded place. The P.mikea seedlings seem indestructible, they've been on top of a bookcase in our front room with no water and very little light since October and are still in full leaf, nice and green, though a little shrivelled. I'll water them this afternoon and put them on a windowsill, they'll probably be dead tomorrow :).
BCSS no.33806

kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

i live in Taiwan subtropical.My green house now has 30C in day 23C in night

i put my seed in clean warm(25C) water for 1 day, let seed re hydrate.
Then saw they in moisture mix.

Seed lost viability very quick.
One of my friend saw in January and has 100% germination. She save 10 seed for me until July only 20%germination
I will say NONE OF THEM still be viable after 1 year.
I suggest you ignore temperature saw them asap,use some indoor light or heater.

Pachy really like organic mixture with good drainage. Or you can use inorganic mixture and use compost later to boost growth.
My seedling reach 3 cm tall 1 in diameter in 1 year use organic mixture. They really boost the growth.

brevicaule has very sensitive root, prone to rot when too wet/hot. But also can't withstand overly dry.
I lost all 20 of my brevicaule seedling to over-fertilization.

this is my 8 month old P.horombense still having her cotyledon.
saw in march took pic in November in dormant now.
As you can see my mixture has a lot of black organic humus.

P.decaryi saw in 2017/5/21 4 month old.
1 part coconut peat/humus
1 part fine sand
1 part 5mm pumice
2 tea spoon of limestone powder (approximately)
Full sun all summer 12hr sun light per day in summer.
water as much as i can(2~3 per week).Still not enough water. Leaf lost spirit quickly if not water enough.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

I got some P.decaryi and P.baronii seed from Plantemania last year as well and they germinated and grew well. In fact the only species I had any trouble with was P.brevicaule, they didn't dampen off as such just faded away throughout the summer after fantastic germination and good early growth. Getting the other species through the winter has given mixed results with the P.densiflorum sulking the most. They don't seem to rot, just shrivel up and die, I've lost about 75% of them. Still have a few so I'm happy.
BCSS no.33806

SteveJones
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by SteveJones »

Nick_G wrote:I got some P.decaryi and P.baronii seed from Plantemania last year as well and they germinated and grew well. In fact the only species I had any trouble with was P.brevicaule, they didn't dampen off as such just faded away throughout the summer after fantastic germination and good early growth. Getting the other species through the winter has given mixed results with the P.densiflorum sulking the most. They don't seem to rot, just shrivel up and die, I've lost about 75% of them. Still have a few so I'm happy.
When does Plantemania issue their seed list? I noticed they had Dorstenia gigas on it but it's no longer in stock. :angre:

Steve.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

SteveJones wrote:
Nick_G wrote:I got some P.decaryi and P.baronii seed from Plantemania last year as well and they germinated and grew well. In fact the only species I had any trouble with was P.brevicaule, they didn't dampen off as such just faded away throughout the summer after fantastic germination and good early growth. Getting the other species through the winter has given mixed results with the P.densiflorum sulking the most. They don't seem to rot, just shrivel up and die, I've lost about 75% of them. Still have a few so I'm happy.
When does Plantemania issue their seed list? I noticed they had Dorstenia gigas on it but it's no longer in stock. :angre:

Steve.
It's constantly updated, you just have go keep looking and a lot of the seed sells out quickly.
BCSS no.33806

jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I sowed my seeds rather late, mid-October, indoors under lights so they are now about 5 months old. I am a bit embarrassed to say I did not write down how many seeds I've sown, maybe you kept that info, Nick?

All the pots are 5cm square.

Pachypodium brevicaule Mount Ibity, 3 plants.
Pachypodium_brevicaule_Mount_Ibity_Hot1703_20180307.jpg
Pachypodium_brevicaule_Mount_Ibity_Hot1703_20180307.jpg (226.9 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Pachypodium densiflorum Arja, 8 plants.
Pachypodium_densiflorum_Arja_Hot1704_20180307.jpg
Pachypodium_densiflorum_Arja_Hot1704_20180307.jpg (225.98 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Pachypodium horombense RN7, 3 plants.
Pachypodium_horombense_RN7_Hot1706_20180307.jpg
Pachypodium_horombense_RN7_Hot1706_20180307.jpg (216.23 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Pachypodium mikea Sulary Road, 3 plants.
Pachypodium_mikea_Sulary_Road_Hot1707_20180307.jpg
Pachypodium_mikea_Sulary_Road_Hot1707_20180307.jpg (231.07 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Nick,
3 of the brevicaule are surviving ATM but they don't look strong.
Mine are under lights but still went into winter rest
3 x densiflorum
2 of 3 mikea germinated and are growing strongly

I still have 2 x adenia so as long as they wake OK I can post you one.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.