Aeonium velour

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Aeonium velour

Post by MikeT »

JaneO wrote:What is the grey variegated plant under your slightly sad Aeonium Mike?
Sightly sad seems quite positive for the 'Zwartkop'! I aim for a minimum of 0 or -1C over winter, which is why I prefer to keep the plants completely dry. 'Zwartkop' always looks terrible by the end of winter, but perks up well once it gets some warmth and water. I'm hoping 'Velour' does the same - I've only had this since last summer, so first winter for it. The variegated Aeonium under the 'Zwartkop' is 'Ballerina'. Tends to look more a uniform green if it gets a lot of sun.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

Hi Mike,
You and me both then for first winter for velour. At least they are alive! I love your Aeonium ballerina, so aptly named! We have snow here again today, just when spring was bringing garden to life. Mini beast from east! Let's hope it will soon be over and we can enjoy good growing.
Andrew9
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Andrew9 »

Hi Jane, I have no choice really, the plant has got too big and heavy to move, besides, I don't have a conservatory or greenhouse to move it to. I shelter some of my plants in a cold frame but this one has got too big - it will have to stay in that spot for the remainder of it's days!
I got the plant as a small bare rooted cutting, single rosette, and it has grown to that size in just 2 years, I can't remember the spelling on the label, but doesn't sound like it came from the same source as your plant.
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Andrew,
Well it is obviously thriving! Just keep doing the same. If it was me, I would remove one rosette and replant it separately just in case this plant succumbs to frost. Call it insurance. It certainly looks healthy. Well done. jane
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Just given the GH its first watering of the year; 'Velour' has coloured up quite a bit, in just 3 weeks. Not as dark when outdoors in the summer, but much less green than the previous photo.
velour.JPG
The whole plant is much more open, with gaps between the heads, than last summer. I hope that as the leaves grow longer, the gaps will disappear again.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
JaneO
Registered Guest

Post by JaneO »

Hi Mike,
Looking good.
Mine is pretty much recovered too.
IMG_2655.JPG